Newly stolen items *ALERT*

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: Newly stolen items *ALERT*

Post by collin »

For posterity of this thread..

Even without the serial number plate, Gary's 331 Lightshow model is the only example I've ever seen (and possibly only example made?) that has the pickguard/diffuser plates extending between the pickups. Very distinct feature and one to keep an eye out for if anything turns up in the future.
Attachments
GClauson331.png
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

People are no damned good.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

So sorry to hear that Gary.
I really hope that the register would help you retreive some of them.

Did the police investigate the seller of the 4000 FL BG? maybe they can trace it back?
So long and thanks for all the fish!
coolingitdown
Intermediate Member

coolingitdown

Post by coolingitdown »

Gary,

My heart breaks for this loss. Having played several of these and being aware of the rarity and value of some of them, it's a real punch to the gut to hear about this.

I'm glad to hear that a couple of them have already turned up and will hope that several others turn up as well.
2010 4003 FG
1997 4003FL Turquoise
Set neck 4001S (color TBD)
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

That's just awful Gary. Awful.

Hoping you can get all your instruments back in original shape. Sadly, I too tend to think there's more to this than meets the eye. Please keep us informed...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry to hear about this Gary. I wonder if the same guy(s) did the same to Bryan Beller, recently.
Full text:

THEFT ALERT: I'm sorry to report that most of my basses were stolen from my storage unit while I was on tour in South America these past six weeks. I'm hoping you can help me possibly recover them by sharing this post, in which I'll list every bit of info I have on the missing items. They include FIVE (edited-BB) Mike Lull basses:

* Mike Lull Modern 5-string, Red (yes, THAT one, my #1 for 17 years), flame maple top, s/n 266
* Mike Lull Modern 5-string, Brown, fretless, flame maple top, s/n 448
* Mike Lull T-Bass 4-string (the Dethklok bass), black w/white pick guard and black "gear" sticker, no serial number (blank indent in headstock)
* Mike Lull jazz bass 4-string, passive, black w/white pick guard, s/n 513
* (edit - BB) Mike Lull prototype 5-string, translucent black finish, s/n TBA (will get soon)

and these other special items:

* Taylor AB-4 acoustic/electric bass, sunburst, s/n 20010214201

and very sadly:

* Fender P-Bass, sunburst w/white pickguard, s/n unknown - it once belonged to my dear friend Wes Wehmiller

I also am missing an SWR Mo' Bass head, s/n ending in 0002 (the second ever made), and a couple of other items

* Voodoo Labs Amp Selector
* SansAmp PSA-1 Programmable Preamp
* ART Tube Pac Mic Preamp

I am including some pictures of me playing the instruments above. I don't have any pics of me playing that black 4-string Mike Lull jazz bass, but everything else has been around.

The items were located at

Public Storage
18650 Vía Princessa
Canyon Country, CA 91387 USA

(It's a long and winding story as to why there were there, involving international shipping snafus and forest fires and crazy touring schedules.)

They were stolen sometime between November 9 and December 27. I have done a quick search on eBay, Craig's List, and Reverb.com, but I don't see anything. Obviously some of these instruments are very recognizable, but I'm just one person. The power of social media far exceeds anything I could do on my own. If you could be so kind as to share this post with anyone you think could help locate one of these instruments (even if you don't live in the United States; it's possible that these are already headed overseas), I would be most grateful. If you don't feel comfortable making public comments, you can always message me. I will also gladly accept anonymous tips if that feels appropriate.

This is my second time around this particular rodeo. My first was in 1994, when someone stole my 1986 pre-Gibson Tobias out of my North Hollywood apartment. That was my #1 bass at the time. So I get that these are just things, and no one got hurt, and life goes on. That said, if anyone out there can somehow help me locate these items - especially the Red Mike Lull 5-string and the Fender P-Bass - I would be very very thankful.

Be good to each other out there, ok?

BB
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

Really sorry to hear this Gary. I've been through this, although on a smaller scale, and I know what it feels like. I hope you can recover everything and catch the bastards. Good luck.
flognoth

Post by flognoth »

This sucks. My heart goes out to you.

I hope you get them back!
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

So sorry to hear this. I will bookmark the thread in case I come across possible matches down the road.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Here is a minor update with some corrections.

First, the update: the lead I had on the pawn shop panned out, it had the 660 75th Anniversary and the Pete Townsend. Two more that I can recover! 8) :) Because these two had been pawned, I am now working on the assumption that most, if not all, the rest have been pawned locally, so I will be paying a visit to some local shops this week myself.

Second, a most sincere thank-you for all who have commented, I appreciate the well-wishes. Here are some specific replies to some posts:

Kenny: the thieves did not get everything, I had about 17 other instruments elsewhere.

Dane: other units in the same building had been broken into, including one that had a guitar (don't know brand/model/year. See also my reply to Ron and Gil below.

Ron and Gil: the Irvine PD did get some preliminary information from the rental proprietors and the two Guitar Centers. A detective was assigned to the case, but due to the holidays, I have not been able to get an update (I hope to do that tomorrow). An investigating officer alluded to this being a part of a bigger series of similar thefts that included other storage facilities. There was no useful video at this site because the only cameras were near the office area, which is across the street from the building where my unit is. They did get the information on a person that the storage unit was suspicious of, and this person's punch code was entered to open the gate just before the door in my unit was opened. I hope to get an update this week from the detective who has (finally) been assigned to the case (the holidays messed up getting any info sooner).

Collin: thanks for the information about that unique feature on the 331LS FWIW, mine is the earliest in the Register, from 1970 (JH serial number).

Jeffrey: quite possibly related, see my reply to Ron and GIl above. Based on my finding two of mine pawned, I would recommend that Bryan Beller make sure that the police canvas all pawn shops for items they took in around the time of the theft.

Third, some minor corrections. I had forgotten the 330 DG (SN 01 33546) in the initial listing, so I have added that one to the stolen list. Also, I had my 620 FGs mixed up. I had sold the one made in 1999 with three pickups to a friend; the one stolen was the standard one made in 2002, so I have revised the stolen status of both (SN 99 21109 not stolen; SN 02 19131 stolen). The updated pictures are below.
ContactSheet_001.jpg
ContactSheet_002.jpg
I will post updates to keep everyone apprised of the status of the case.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Glad to hear of some hope for you. I would REALLY press the police, many of the pawn shops likely have security videos, which might be mined to identify the perps!
redamber

Post by redamber »

Every collector's worst nightmare - my sincere commiserations to you Gary on your loss. I hope they find and punish the rat(s) responsible.

In terms of follow-up, it must be very distressing to have to chase up possible leads yourself - 'Watching the Detectives' suddenly has a whole new meaning!

Your experience also reinforces the need for us all to review our security arrangements and keep an up-to-date inventory, with photos, proof of purchase, etc.
Santa visits only once a year, but Santa Ana delivers Rics all year round.
8mileshigher

Newly stolen items *ALERT*

Post by 8mileshigher »

Gary, I sure hope the Detectives can locate more of your guitars and basses. This is such a sad event.

Did the Guitar Centers and Pawn Shops record the dates when they received the stolen items from the thief ?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

8mileshigher wrote:Gary, I sure hope the Detectives can locate more of your guitars and basses.
Unless I missed something, it seems that Gary has been doing all the research and finding of instruments, not the cops or detectives.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Gary, I'm really sorry to read this.....You don't need to answer if you'd rather not.....

Are the guitars insured? and Have the pawn shops or GC's been of any assistance in giving the name of the person who pawned the guitars?

These questions came to mind immediately. I hope you recover everything, and this criminal is caught and fully prosecuted. This really sucks.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”