I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset terms.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Speed King

Re: I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset term

Post by Speed King »

I have a Ruby Red Metallic 4003 I bought back in 2016, it's a 2016 model year but it wasn't brand new. I switched the strings to a set of DR Sunbeams in the fall of 2017 (.045-.065-.085-.105). I noticed the action is higher now after a few months of the strings being installed. I had two choices to make, do I have the truss rods adjusted/nut refiled, or do I go back to the stock Ric strings? I'm going back to the stock Ric strings. I just ordered a set of Ric strings from Sam Ash for $26.00 shipped. I couldn't detect a huge difference in tone after switching to the DRs. I'm hoping the neck will go back to it's original flatness after having the stock string gages back on, but we''ll see. It still might need a tweek of the rods. I'm really surprised there would be enough difference in string tension from the stock Rics to the DRs, to make the neck move enough to be noticable. I love the bass, love the tone, love the looks. I think the Ric bass is the sexiest bass on earth, especially in Ruby Red.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

It may have more to do with seasonal temperature/humidity change or just the amount of time under stress, too.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Speed King wrote:I have a Ruby Red Metallic 4003 I bought back in 2016, it's a 2016 model year but it wasn't brand new. I switched the strings to a set of DR Sunbeams in the fall of 2017 (.045-.065-.085-.105). I noticed the action is higher now after a few months of the strings being installed. I had two choices to make, do I have the truss rods adjusted/nut refiled, or do I go back to the stock Ric strings? I'm going back to the stock Ric strings. I just ordered a set of Ric strings from Sam Ash for $26.00 shipped. I couldn't detect a huge difference in tone after switching to the DRs. I'm hoping the neck will go back to it's original flatness after having the stock string gages back on, but we''ll see. It still might need a tweek of the rods. I'm really surprised there would be enough difference in string tension from the stock Rics to the DRs, to make the neck move enough to be noticable. I love the bass, love the tone, love the looks. I think the Ric bass is the sexiest bass on earth, especially in Ruby Red.
What does any of this have to do with RIC's warranty terms?

You changed string tensions so, of course, the truss rods may need a tweak to compensate for that. What else were you expecting?
Speed King

Post by Speed King »

jps wrote:
Speed King wrote:I have a Ruby Red Metallic 4003 I bought back in 2016, it's a 2016 model year but it wasn't brand new. I switched the strings to a set of DR Sunbeams in the fall of 2017 (.045-.065-.085-.105). I noticed the action is higher now after a few months of the strings being installed. I had two choices to make, do I have the truss rods adjusted/nut refiled, or do I go back to the stock Ric strings? I'm going back to the stock Ric strings. I just ordered a set of Ric strings from Sam Ash for $26.00 shipped. I couldn't detect a huge difference in tone after switching to the DRs. I'm hoping the neck will go back to it's original flatness after having the stock string gages back on, but we''ll see. It still might need a tweek of the rods. I'm really surprised there would be enough difference in string tension from the stock Rics to the DRs, to make the neck move enough to be noticable. I love the bass, love the tone, love the looks. I think the Ric bass is the sexiest bass on earth, especially in Ruby Red.

You changed string tensions so, of course, the truss rods may need a tweak to compensate for that. What else were you expecting?
Nothing at all, sorry if I irritated you by posting.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Speed King wrote:
jps wrote:

Nothing at all, sorry if I irritated you by posting.
A bit touchy, I see. Or just, indignant, perhaps?
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Another make popcorn and be entertained kind of thread. :lol:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

rickenbrother wrote:Another make popcorn and be entertained kind of thread. :lol:
indeed!
ram

Post by ram »

if you throw in some Milk Duds and a big coke.... i'M IN!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

And the moral of this story is never change your strings from the set supplied.
Just buy a new bass.
Ric, of course...

:)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

12stringbassist wrote:And the moral of this story is never change your strings from the set supplied.
Just buy a new bass.
Ric, of course...

:)
That makes for some pretty expensive strings!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”