I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset terms.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset terms.

Post by lumgimfong »

I am a new 4003 owner and was thinking of changing to flats. But, after reading alot of stuff online, and the warranty card, I figured I would ask Ric before changing to flats.

Ric rep just got back to me by email, telling me that changing to flatwounds of any kind voids the instrument's warranty.

They also told me to use only roundwounds in 45-55-75-105 gauges or the instrument's warranty will be voided.

Why would they be so strict about this?

Does it mean that their necks cannot handle any other guage strings? John Hall on the other Ric forum wrote to a forum member that the different set he was inquiring about would be fine for his Ric. But he didn't mention a voided warranty.

Still don't understand.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset term

Post by jdogric12 »

Sounds like they're covering their arse, typical RIC. Disappointing, but very understandable. Can you imagine the abuse they'd have to deal with if they didn't have that policy? Anyone remember the late 90's when everyone was snapping 12er necks with Pyramid flats, unaware of the higher tension?

Save those original strings... :wink:
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I didn't realize I could get back to them to ask these questions because it was an unanswerable post.
Then I saw the link to the active q&a post. So I asked the rep and will see why other stringsets are not good for the instrument.
I don't mind using their gauges, as they feel great, but I don't like roundwound squelch noise.

I could see, that for the ease of the manufacturer, they can set their own terms on the warranty at any level of strictness to avoid hassles, and I don't blame them.

But it would be better if they could say something like "It voids the warranty. That said, anything between such and such tension guage, will be fine and not damage your bass. But understand that the warranty will be voided on principle.".

It would be nice to get some real world guidance on what the safe stringset options really are the the basses. But I understand why they cannot do it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

lumgimfong wrote:I didn't realize I could get back to them to ask these questions because it was an unanswerable post.
Then I saw the link to the active q&a post. So I asked the rep and will see why other stringsets are not good for the instrument.
I don't mind using their gauges, as they feel great, but I don't like roundwound squelch noise.

I could see, that for the ease of the manufacturer, they can set their own terms on the warranty at any level of strictness to avoid hassles, and I don't blame them.

But it would be better if they could say something like "It voids the warranty. That said, anything between such and such tension guage, will be fine and not damage your bass. But understand that the warranty will be voided on principle.".

It would be nice to get some real world guidance on what the safe stringset options really are the the basses. But I understand why they cannot do it.
I think it's because same gauge does not always mean same tension. And there are so many string manufacturers there is no way they could keep it straight, or be responsible for things beyond their control. Especially flats, which are kind of a different animal altogether, if I understand correctly. It's a real shame they stopped selling fretless basses and flatwound strings. I still have a set I purchased from RIC in 1999 on my 1992 4003FL and they feel and play better every day! I hear good things about Labella, that they are the closest to the old Maximas.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I use Labella Deep Talkin' flats on my Precision, Mustang, and Guild Starfire basses with no issues. 104 on Mustang. 109 on Precision. 110 on Starfire.
It is interesting how each bass needs a different set to get the tension feel I like.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I believe you will be safe using TI Jazz Flats. They feel great, are very low in tension, and Rick basses sound amazing with them. Can't get any better than that. :D
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jps wrote:I believe you will be safe using TI Jazz Flats. They feel great, are very low in tension, and Rick basses sound amazing with them. Can't get any better than that. :D
+1 on the TI Jazz Flats, used to have my old v63 strung with those and they were great! My 4003S currently has a set of GHS flats on it, and they feel good too, just not quite as "slinky"
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

The Labella LTF (low tension flat) set feels pretty similar (gauge and tension) to the old Maxima's,and they sound really good,too. (Not like the old strings,but still good.)

Kind of weird that after all the problems the company went through with people using roto Swing bass strings in the '70's,that things are reversed now....
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Having such a limited warranty hardly inspires confidence in the quality of the product.... surreal!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

They have it so strict so you won't buy anything but Rickenbacker branded strings.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

loverickbass wrote:They have it so strict so you won't buy anything but Rickenbacker branded strings.
I doubt they really care much about selling strings. Probably not much profit margin there. They'd much rather sell guitars.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Haha, Ok.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

jdogric12 wrote:I doubt they really care much about selling strings. Probably not much profit margin there. They'd much rather sell guitars.
Given that RIC's bass strings retail (and usually sell) for about $35 a set, I'd say that's at least a 100% profit margin, based on the cost of comparable strings such as D'Addario nickel rounds.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Yeah, and it's not like RIC is making the strings, they just buy them and rebrand them.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Any idea who makes them, or what other brands would be the same, or similar?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”