I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset terms.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: I am surprised at the strict Ric warranty stringset term

Post by aceonbass »

The closest readily available string similar to the RIC strings is D'Addario EXL170's. I prefer the EXL170BT's though because they are balanced tension.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Unless something changed in the last 10 years they are D'addarios. No they don't have colored balls; they're bulk strings or something like that.
collin

Post by collin »

I don't see how the warranty is an issue. The product is designed to operate within a certain string tension and anything outside that tolerance shouldn't be covered by a warranty.

This type of limited warranty policy is common practice in the automotive/powersports industry, particularly in relation to modifications and tires on performance vehicles. I don't see why it's an issue with guitars and basses.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

So can anyone tell me which flatwounds fall into the same tension zone as the stock Ric strings ?
I haven't found any tension listings for flats.

If I was going to stay with rounds, I'd just use the Rics. But the finger movement squeltch is too loud for some of the stuff I play live. Quiet parts of songs with quiet lead bass lines. So I need flats.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

And by the way, the Ric rep told me thet ANY flatwounds void the warranty.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

collin wrote:I don't see how the warranty is an issue. The product is designed to operate within a certain string tension and anything outside that tolerance shouldn't be covered by a warranty.

This type of limited warranty policy is common practice in the automotive/powersports industry, particularly in relation to modifications and tires on performance vehicles. I don't see why it's an issue with guitars and basses.
With the greatest of respect, I think you're missing the point. The issue is that it appears that any strings other than those offered by RIC will void warranty, irrespective of their technical properties. To go with your analogy, if GM insisted that only Pirellis should be fitted to their cars in order to maintain warranty, there'd be an uproar.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Why not just wait until the warranty expires?
Then you wouldn't void it.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

antipodean wrote:To go with your analogy, if GM insisted that only Pirellis should be fitted to their cars in order to maintain warranty, there'd be an uproar.
No that is not a good analogy.

Here is a better one.

You have a brand new car that runs on unleaded gasoline, but you insist on using diesel fuel, because Roger McGuinn once owned a Volkswagon that ran on diesel. Using the incorrect fuel, destroys your engine. But it is all the car manufacturers fault as their engines should run on anything the consumer wants to pour into the tank.

No where in the product literature does it say that you must use RIC strings. Only that you must use strings that conform to the same string gauge and tension. I find it helpful that RIC has created a line of strings that work with their product..

But each to their own.

I vouch for the TI Jazz Flats. They are on my 4000 and I luv 'em. They are not RIC strings but they are within the range of correct tension for a set neck bass.

Cheers!
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
wilmingtonian

Post by wilmingtonian »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
antipodean wrote:To go with your analogy, if GM insisted that only Pirellis should be fitted to their cars in order to maintain warranty, there'd be an uproar.
No that is not a good analogy.

Here is a better one.
Actually, the first analogy is much better. And, no disrespect, your analogy is terrible.

Look, Rickenbacker makes great guitars. Their warranty service, though, can be faulted. Preposterous but true: you can buy a guitar, new from an authorized dealer, that is out of warranty.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

loverickbass wrote:Yeah, and it's not like RIC is making the strings, they just buy them and rebrand them.
Well, this isn't quite correct. They do not manufacture strings themselves, but they do specify what they want in a set of strings and contract with a manufacturer that is able to make strings to their specification.

It's possibly a subtle difference, but what this really means is that while you may be able to buy a very similar set of strings from whatever manufacturer actually makes them, they may not be exactly the same...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

strange that the manual contradicts the warranty

..."Any quality string set may be utilized on a Rickenbacker guitar or bass within a reasonable gauge range as suggested by the chart above. "...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

This discussion has gone on too long. Just use any set with reasonably similar tension (ask the manufacturers for it) and save your old strings so if you ever need the warranty, you can put them back on and jump through RIC's little hoops. Of course, now that this has dragged on, they may have you on their radar and deny you anyway.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Well the rep wrote that only the same guage and only roundwounds or else warranty voided.
That is why am looking for clarification. Because that conflicts with the manual and if I ever need warranty service I want to make sure I don't mess it up by doing something wrong.

I am keeping the Ric rounds on it for now.

I opened the thread at the Ric intl forum.
Maybe John Hall can chime in and clear things up.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Both the manual and the warranty state our policy which is that any string, of any type, that conforms to factory specifications may be used. That means similar gauge, but most importantly, similar tension.

There are many flat wound strings that are suitable, including sets from Maxima, Thomastik Infeld, and D'Addario.

The consumer was correctly informed that MANY flatwound strings have excessive tension and MIGHT void the warranty. Our customer service staff will try to make that clearer and more emphatic in the future. I have also asked staff to prepare a list of suitable strings, although this is going to be somewhat difficult and time consuming, as many makers do not publish the tension specification. This is compounded by the fact that the model year of the RIC instrument makes a difference, as they've only gotten more tolerant in the recent years, but anything we publish has to apply to all instruments.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Thanks, John!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”