NBD - I Shall Call Her Ruby

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

qwezirider
Intermediate Member

NBD - I Shall Call Her Ruby

Post by qwezirider »

I've been out of a Rick for a few years now. 3? 5? I can't remember. It's been too long. This just arrived this evening, brand spanking new. I've never had a 4003S before. A couple 4004's, 8 different regular 4003 basses, never an "S". I like it a lot! Smooth, rolling body corners, more grain to see on the fret board. Phone pictures just don't capture the Ruby at all. Cannot wait to set her up and put her to work! Feels good to be back with one of these.
20170213_175626.jpg
20170213_175632.jpg
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: NBD - I Shall Call Her Ruby

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

And today is now Tuesday too!

Congrats on the new bass. It looks like a lovely example. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Good choice! I love the iridescence of this color on my 4004Cii!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Congrats,Bruce,she's a beauty!
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

That's a beauty, and I love the more highly figured fingerboards they are using these days, particularly on the S models, where the fingerboard would otherwise be pretty plain.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

Thank you, guys. This one feels lighter than I remember them. Must be slowly losing the marbles.

It was setup nearly perfect from the store. Neck already straight, all that it needed was some lowering of the bridge. Plays as smooth as it should now.

Dane, THAT'S the word I've been trying to remember since last night - iridescence.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

This is a beautiful bass, Bruce!
I have a 2015 4003S in FG, and I've been jonesin' for another, was thinking Mapleglo, but I love the Ruby --- so sorry to see this iridescent finish disappear from the Rick color list....
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

That is nice, congratulations!
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

Thank you, Dan and Gene! I had my eye on a midnight blue one (still do), but just didn't do anything about it for weeks. Then I got nosey and tried to find other dealers and this one popped up. I was told by my dear employer (wife) that there was a limited time offer to get two. Still pondering the wisdom of that. :mrgreen:
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I REALLY like the new 4003S models -- from the way they cut the headstock to the thin upper horn to the pickguard shaping(no bulge!) to the caribbean bubinga or whatever it is on the fretboard. IMHO they are just beautiful examples, and I like the neck thickness and the pickups, although I haven't ruled out putting a toaster on mine at some point. I have heard that some are not crazy about the more modern, shorter pickguards, the newer knobs and the neck pickup position, but I like the mixture of old and new features on this bass, and having an early example in a Ruby finish may make it a real collectors item, in addition to being a really fine looking bass!
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

"...to the thin upper horn..."

So I'm not imagining things? I'm not good at knowing all the changes over the years as pertains to body shapes. All the minute stuff. But I sure swear, when I got this one, that it felt sleeker than all the others I've owned. It's just......perfect!
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

qwezirider wrote:"...to the thin upper horn..."

So I'm not imagining things? I'm not good at knowing all the changes over the years as pertains to body shapes. All the minute stuff. But I sure swear, when I got this one, that it felt sleeker than all the others I've owned. It's just......perfect!
I don't think you are imagining things -- I've owned quite a number of Rick basses, and I like the way they are cutting the horns and the headstocks of these 4003s models as much as any I've seen in a long time. To be fair, it looks like the 4003 models are cut about the same these days, but I like the overall look of the bass, the pick guard and they feel nicely balanced. I'm sure the necks are a little chunkier than they made them back in the olden times, but it still feels very playable to me.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

squirebass wrote: I'm sure the necks are a little chunkier than they made them back in the olden times, but it still feels very playable to me.
The neck does feel a touch chunkier than the last 2010 4003 I had. But I can't say I've ever had one that felt unplayable. Just noticeably thinker a touch.

I took it out this last week on a string of work. For this particular show it was (cosmetically) appropriate for only two songs, but it absolutely kicked rear end for those two! Sounded soooooo perfect. And its look gave that extra little tweak to the audiences, as if to wonder "Oh, I wonder what kind of mayhem is about to happen?"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”