I need advice

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rickfunk74

I need advice

Post by rickfunk74 »

I have a '72 4001 with binding rot. The off gassing has stained the finish around the edge of the body and left a film on the finish and some of the chrome. I was able to obtain replacement checker and white binding from Winfield Vintage. I have an estimate of $500 from a local luthier just to replace the binding. This does not include finish work. I have an estimate from Larry Davis for $700 to replace the rotted white binding and to finish the binding. He will match the binding finish to the rest of the bass. The price may be higher if more work is involved. I have been leaning toward selling the bass as I do not use it very often. My local shop that specializes in vintage basses offered me $850 in store credit for it. They told me that it would be difficult to get more for it in it's present condition and that they would have to repair it to sell it. I'm trying to decide if I should take the credit, sell it as is, fix it and then sell it, or try to repair the binding myself having no experience with doing so. I paid $1100 for it 17 years ago. Any advice? Is it worth more than $850 in it's present state?
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Re: I need advice

Post by Danotron »

Can you post some pictures so we can see how bad the rot is? It will help.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Dan is right, photos would help to gauge the extent of the damage.

There was a phenomenon with some Rick basses in the 1971-72 era that has been called "Glueglo," that is, the glue that was used for the binding was an unusual mix and resulted in the staining of the wood next to the binding and binding rot, especially noticeable on Mapleglo finishes. (see example photo of a 1971 4001 with this problem)

As your bass (if original) has the cast aluminum tailpiece/bridge unit, the bass is very likely worth more than $850 just for parts. If you don't want to keep it, I would suggest trying to sell it as is -- with full disclosure -- and see what kind of offers you get.
1%24_57.jpg
rickfunk74

Post by rickfunk74 »

I'm attaching two pictures.
Attachments
WIN_20170213_12_55_42_Pro.jpg
WIN_20170213_12_54_57_Pro.jpg
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

Thanks for the pictures. It's got some bad spots but if you're going to sell it, I wouldn't replace anything. I also think you can get more than $850 for it.

If you're going to keep it and play it, and if the binding really bothers you, then that's another story. I would send it to someone who specializes in Ricks (like Larry).

I think that's a really cool Bass let me know if you decide to sell it!
rickfunk74

Post by rickfunk74 »

I'm most likely going to sell it. It should probably be repaired as the off gasing from the deteriorating celluloid isn't helping it any. I just don't want to invest the money into it. I have other instruments that need attention and another 4001 that I use more frequently.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Joel:

Check the two letters from the serial number and then look at the register here to see similar basses.

The glue issue seems early 70s- again if you check the register for Mapleglo basses from the same era you will get an approximate value.

If the parts are all original then the TRC, Wiring harness, tailpiece , tuners etc are all worth more then $850.

If it plays well and sounds good then it has a value as well. Some of my own Favorite RICS are not anywhere near cosmetically perfect. :roll:
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
rickfunk74

Post by rickfunk74 »

Based on the registry, the median value looks to be $3000. I was told that my instrument was originally black and was stripped and professionally refinished. This makes me lean more toward repairing it as it may actually be worth the investment.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

rickfunk74 wrote:Based on the registry, the median value looks to be $3000. I was told that my instrument was originally black and was stripped and professionally refinished. This makes me lean more toward repairing it as it may actually be worth the investment.
Send it to Larry Davis! He has done wonders. If the inner binding is still OK he can save that and only do the outer strip.
The currently available block binding has a different pattern and sometimes looks like herringbone.

Your bass looks like one of the last single piece neckthoughs, so it's kind of in another class.
I recently sold a '71 4001 MG that had that work done and netted $3500 (it was in a store, so they got more).

Given the staining, you may even want to consider a period correct Fireglo. Larry Davis has got that pretty much nailed on my 70 and 71 4001 21r's.

Again- Larry. Davis

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”