My 77 4001 Has a Bit if Tail-Lift....Recommendations?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Quadzilla

My 77 4001 Has a Bit if Tail-Lift....Recommendations?

Post by Quadzilla »

I just got the truss rods and slight neck separation attended to by the infamous Kevin Brubaker. Neck is flat, frets are level and all is good there.

He got the action pretty low, but the bridge adjustments are now bottomed-out and would love to bring the action down just a bit more as I know the neck will allow it.

I can see some lift and am considering my options. Shall I file the saddles or buy a Allparts or Hipshot bridge?

I searched a number of threads and can't seem to find a general concensis for a solution to my issue.

Thanks so much!
radapaw

Re: My 77 4001 Has a Bit if Tail-Lift....Recommendations?

Post by radapaw »

Personally I'd probably go for notching the saddles deeped, assuming the amount of lift will still allow some/any downward angle to the string anchors. It would be cheap to replace if you go too far, free to try, and keeps you stock.

The Hipshot is a nice piece of hardware but removes the mute, lacks some ricken-cool, and is fair bit different in design both visually and in how it would transmit sound from strings to body, I hear the aluminum model sounds more 'stock' than brass. The Allparts bridge is cheap, pretty close visually, and allows for the mute, but I expect the plating is a little dodgy and the machining is pretty 'eh' if it's like most no-name Allparts parts I meet... I'd probably still swap the chrome allparts saddles with new Ric stock ones (assuming that's possible) .

Not in a rush? The Rickenbacker boutique has gotta get these back in eventually, or you may be able to find a decent tailpiece available used, be it from someone else swapping to a hipshot, or an ebay part out.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

The Allparts bridge is fine, had one for years with no chrome problems. They chrome the saddles as well, so it's actually a bit more "bling" than original dull finish zinc saddles. If the chrome ever does get dodgy, you can buy another Allparts bridge and still be way below the price of an OEM Ric bridge. $78 for an Allparts complete assembly vs. $85 for just the the saddle assembly on POTR. Do the math! Put the old someplace safe for re-sale.

http://www.pickofthericks.com/categorie ... s-Bridges/

https://www.allparts.com/bass-bridges
Quadzilla

Post by Quadzilla »

Today I spent some time with the stock (OEM) bridge and filed down the saddles, which was far easier than I expected.

The saddle material is quite soft and I was able to cut the slightly deeper channels rather quickly. The end result was EXACTLY what I was looking for! The action is now low, free of buzz and perfect!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I really want to get a hipshot for my 4003s, but I just cant get past the cosmetic detail, they just look so plain.., like a hunk of chrome. I wish we had more options. :(
"Knowledge is Power"
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Quadzilla wrote:The action is now low, free of buzz and perfect!
I love a happy ending... lol
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

TTIWWP! :cry:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:TTIWWP! :cry:
Here ya' go: a picture for you.
Daisies Heart.jpg
Happy now? :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very! :)
Quadzilla

Post by Quadzilla »

Fine, posting a new thread with pics of my 77 :-)
prowla

Post by prowla »

I've got a couple of Hipshot bridges and I think they work well; definitely better than the Badass which I used to have on a Ric (it's now on a Precision).

As for tail-lift, you can get the Allparts one and just use the main block/tailpiece still with your original bridge/saddles part; I did that on a 'faker which had lift like a ski slope!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”