My Apologies - Another "String" Question Thread

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teeder

My Apologies - Another "String" Question Thread

Post by teeder »

OK, I'm on a quest to find the perfect strings for my '67. I've used either end of the spectrum, TI Jazz Rounds and Roto-Sound Nickels. I love the tone of both, but the tensions are giving me fits. The Roto's are too much for the old girl, but I just can't get used to the low tension TI's. I'm better with my attack, but can't quite get the rest of the way. So, I'm looking for something in between and have it narrowed down to: D'Addario XL BT .040-.095, Ernie Ball Extra-Slinky .040-.095, and DR Sunbeam LT's .040-.095. I love the sound of nickles, so am only looking at that. How do these compare for tension, tone, life, feel? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks!

(for reference!)
IMGP0050.JPG
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: My Apologies - Another "String" Question Thread

Post by squirebass »

So, you're looking for Rounds, Kevin? I've used everything from Rotos to the TI Flats, although I have not had the pleasure of a RM '67 4001 to put them on! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm finding that the Rotos don't hold up like they used to, and since I've used D'Addarios for just about every stringed instrument in my house ('cept for Rick 12s and basses) I'd like to know what your impressions are of such light rounds as the D'Addario .40-.95 set? One of my Ricks is currently set up with ghs .45-.100 flats, and the other has the regular Rotos RS77 .45-105 Rounds. Thanks for bringing this one up!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Roto 66 and TI flats are sort of the extremes on both sound and tension,aren't they?
If you want rw,I've had great luck with Kalium (formerly Circle K) balanced tension hybrid strings,and you can get them in seeming infinite sizes/sets. The 40-100 or 45-105 sets are not nearly as high tensioned as the rotos,sound great,and last for ages.
For flatwounds,i've found the Labella LTF set to not be so limpnoodly as TI's. They are not overly bright strings,but they do sound good. Also,the new RB set from Optima are pretty perfect feeling,and are a bit more lively sounding.
I'm less enamored of Chromes,which seem to take forever to de-clank,and even in the lightest gauge they seem tensiony and stiff.
Edit-just noticed you said TI Jazz ROUNDS,sorry for the misunderstanding,although most of that still applies.
Kalium are great strings,and i've also recently discover DR Pure Blues to be a fantastic RW set. (Been using DR Sunbeams for years,i think the pure blues are even better.)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I have used XLs in the 40-95 gauges pretty regularly until I was seduced by the TI Jazz Rounds. I think you will find them a nice in between set that is low in tension but not nearly like that of the TIs. When I had the 2030GF I put Fodera Victor Wooten Signature strings on it; they too would be an excellent choice with great tone for a Rick.

Yeah, those Roto Nickels were really high tension! :shock:
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

I had good luck with Ken Smith Burners (45-100).
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

woodyng wrote: Edit-just noticed you said TI Jazz ROUNDS,sorry for the misunderstanding,although most of that still applies.
Yeah, I just noticed that myself, I should really READ the post before commenting! :oops:
teeder

Post by teeder »

:lol:

Thanks, guys. I guess I should just buy a couple different kinds and try them out.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

teeder wrote::lol:

Thanks, guys. I guess I should just buy a couple different kinds and try them out.
That's really the best course of action when it comes to strings. :D It's like girls, we can all tell you to buy Ginger when what you really want is Mary Anne. :mrgreen:
teeder

Post by teeder »

what you really want is Mary Anne
I always liked her better! :)
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jps wrote: It's like girls, we can all tell you to buy Ginger when what you really want is Mary Anne. :mrgreen:
Now that's a question that is even deeper and more mystical than the quest for the perfect strings!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Ginger or Mary Anne?

Yes. :twisted:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
teeder

Post by teeder »

Ginger and Mary Anne, problem solved! :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic