My new "signature" Rick bass!!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Re: My new "signature" Rick bass!!!

Post by bassduke49 »

Sweetwater (and RIC) call this special order "Jetglo Pearlstars", hence the JPS code. This bass is no different structurally from the 4003SW, but the wood is filled and sealed and then painted. The mirrored pick guard and laser-etched TRC are similar to some of the specials ordered by a Japanese distributor. The knobs appear to be the ones used on the 4004L Laredo. Ten were delivered to Sweetwater.

So the answer is that it is the only color on this special order. All it takes to get something different is a dealer/distributor to place an order of a certain minimum of some particular combination of color, trim, and equipment. That's an automatic sellout for RIC, but now the dealer/distributor is on the hook to sell them to cover his costs and make a profit.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

The link doesn't work for me. Is is still valid? Can someone post a pic?

TIA,

--jack
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

JackTheRipper wrote:The link doesn't work for me. Is is still valid? Can someone post a pic?
Jack:

I put one into the register as a collected item.. Pics are there.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... =49193&bl=
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 MG 450
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:
JackTheRipper wrote:The link doesn't work for me. Is is still valid? Can someone post a pic?
Jack:

I put one into the register as a collected item.. Pics are there.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... =49193&bl=

Thanks!

--jack
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

bassduke49 wrote:
All it takes to get something different is a dealer/distributor to place an order of a certain minimum of some particular combination of color, trim, and equipment. That's an automatic sellout for RIC, but now the dealer/distributor is on the hook to sell them to cover his costs and make a profit.

Thanks for the info, Paul! I'm a little surprised that dealers like PickoftheRicks and Wildwood Guitars have not made more use of this, but they probably have all the business they need or want just ordering standard instruments for sale.
I would not mind seeing some dealer order some mapleglo 4003 models with Checkerboard binding, maybe horsie and toaster pickups...
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

bassduke49 wrote: All it takes to get something different is a dealer/distributor to place an order of a certain minimum of some particular combination of color, trim, and equipment.
Sorry, but this needs to be corrected. We routinely turn down requests like this for much larger quantities as we literally have far more demand for the product than we can begin to produce. But sometimes we like to test new ideas out and this is a good way to do it with no risk to anyone. Sometimes, we do this kind of thing for our overseas customers in order to counter gray market importing. Other times, we just like to support our friends, as it was in this case.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

johnhall wrote:
bassduke49 wrote: All it takes to get something different is a dealer/distributor to place an order of a certain minimum of some particular combination of color, trim, and equipment.
Sorry, but this needs to be corrected. We routinely turn down requests like this for much larger quantities as we literally have far more demand for the product than we can begin to produce. But sometimes we like to test new ideas out and this is a good way to do it with no risk to anyone. Sometimes, we do this kind of thing for our overseas customers in order to counter gray market importing. Other times, we just like to support our friends, as it was in this case.
Thanks for setting the record straight, Mr Hall!
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

johnhall wrote:
Sorry for being misleading. Didn't know there were restrictions on this. I was trying to blunt the perception that specials such as these were being withheld from the U.S. market. :oops:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”