Rickenbacker 4001 v63 truss rod advice... Help!!

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gilmourisgod

Re: Rickenbacker 4001 v63 truss rod advice... Help!!

Post by Gilmourisgod »

If the previous Owner didn't take too much finish off, it may be possible to buff it back to gloss. Having the fingerboard laquered looks cool, but it's not very practical. You get "ramps" of finish either side of the frets that get destroyed if you ever have to refret it, so you end up refinishing the fingerboard again. If the frets are still in good shape that buys you a few years either way. Another option is Stewmac fingerboard oil, which can be buffed up to a satin gloss, or Tru-Oil which can approach high gloss with enough coats. Sweet old bird, good luck with it, whatever you decide on refinishing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Gilmourisgod wrote:If the previous Owner didn't take too much finish off, it may be possible to buff it back to gloss...
Yes, this is probably the first thing to try. If you can, have that done by an experienced refinisher to ensure a good, even gloss, and to not burn through the finish.
trojac

Post by trojac »

jps wrote:
Gilmourisgod wrote:If the previous Owner didn't take too much finish off, it may be possible to buff it back to gloss...
Yes, this is probably the first thing to try. If you can, have that done by an experienced refinisher to ensure a good, even gloss, and to not burn through the finish.
I think trying to buff it out is a great idea, and that will be my next step.

I'll look in to the tru-oil route next, my only concern being that once it's oiled I think it would rule out getting it re-varnished if i got the chance.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post the results of getting it buffed.

I've just gone back to the bass and the neck adjustments have made such a difference, I need to look at new strings too. it came with flats on it, although they feel quite nice I'm just not used to them, I need to look at the original gauge that would have been used on this bass, I think its a 45-105 with a slightly lighter A and D string.

For all it's imperfections it's still a Rickenbacker, and it still makes me smile when I look at it :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”