Care and feeding of a 4003W or 4003SW?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Care and feeding of a 4003W or 4003SW?

Post by squirebass »

I was just wondering what some of the worthy forumites have to say about caring for one of those satin finished walnut basses? Do you oil them regularly? How well is the finish protected ? Are they the same price as other basses in the 4003/4003S series, or do dealers usually charge a little extra for them? I find them intriguing...
Thanks
T28

Re: Care and feeding of a 4003W or 4003SW?

Post by T28 »

I think the sound great. Haven't really oiled or polished it since I got it and the finish still looks great. Waiting to hear from the experts and see if I need to do anything.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I bought my Cheyenne in May 2014,and did the Watco's Danish oil treatment on it around that time.it made a huge difference in the appearance at the time. I haven't done it again,since,as it hasn't seemed to need it.
Maybe on the 3rd anniversary coming up in a few monthes.....
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

woodyng wrote:I bought my Cheyenne in May 2014,and did the Watco's Danish oil treatment on it around that time.it made a huge difference in the appearance at the time. I haven't done it again,since,as it hasn't seemed to need it.
Woody, when you did that, did you do the maple, or just the Walnut? I really like the 4003S in Walnut, looks really good with the Walnut body wings. Played a 4003 W the other day, and it was no slouch either! I was just wondering if the neck would show wear and dirt more than the other, highly varnished finishes...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:I bought my Cheyenne in May 2014,and did the Watco's Danish oil treatment on it around that time.it made a huge difference in the appearance at the time. I haven't done it again,since,as it hasn't seemed to need it.
We'll let you know when you can come over and give the treatment to our (coming soon........) 165 Sq. Ft. of quarter sawn white oak wainscoting in the dining room......................

Plus, all the window and door trim, and crown moulding, thanks! :twisted:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I have a 380L PZ, and have owned several of the older walnut models like 380's and 650's. They very rarely need oiling! Maybe every few years... if that. You only need to do it when you notice it looking kind of dried out, I guess. I think I only ever did one once. But then, I've owned very few guitars longer than a few years! :lol:
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

jdogric12 wrote:I have a 380L PZ, and have owned several of the older walnut models like 380's and 650's. They very rarely need oiling! Maybe every few years... if that. You only need to do it when you notice it looking kind of dried out, I guess. I think I only ever did one once. But then, I've owned very few guitars longer than a few years! :lol:
Thanks Jason,
Was there any issue with the maple boards showing dirt or wear? I'm assuming they are sealed and finished to the degree that this issue is minimized, but I remember the story I heard about Leo Fender seeing the maple boards of his early teles and strats, and using rosewood subsequently... I really like the 4003SW, that finish has really grown on me lately, just wondered if the light fretboard was any problem.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

squirebass wrote:
Woody, when you did that, did you do the maple, or just the Walnut? I really like the 4003S in Walnut, looks really good with the Walnut body wings. Played a 4003 W the other day, and it was no slouch either! I was just wondering if the neck would show wear and dirt more than the other, highly varnished finishes...
It was a "strings-off" entire body/neck clean up. The maple fretboard does unfortunately show grime pretty well.
When i bought my bass used,it had a fair amount of "ick" on the frets,so i used a bit of steel wool to clean them with the oil,and most of the discoloration on the fretboard came off. The feel of that neck is wonderful.
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

I've cleaned my 4003W fingerboard with a VERY slightly damp scourer (and a very light touch) to get the muck off it and dried it immediately after doing it.

It took seconds and it comes up a treat.

Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Watco Danish is stupid easy to use, but it never gets beyond a satin sheen. I remember seeing a photo of a 4003w with a gloss finish, but it was a one-off. I thought it really popped the grain. Tru-Oil can be buffed to a pretty high gloss if you put on enough coats. Does anybody know what the actual oil finish used is?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

12stringbassist wrote:I've cleaned my 4003W fingerboard with a VERY slightly damp scourer (and a very light touch) to get the muck off it and dried it immediately after doing it.

It took seconds and it comes up a treat.

I've noticed that these seem to come pre-loaded with soap.. I'd avoid those!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Just wet and squeeze them a bunch of time to clear them of the soap.

NO innuendos, here! :mrgreen:
12stringbassist
Intermediate Member

Post by 12stringbassist »

No soap in the ones we have. :)
Just a tiny bit of water and a wipe over the fingerboard, then another wipe to dry the board worked a treat

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”