MESA and RICKS

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bugman

MESA and RICKS

Post by bugman »

Question for MESA users.. I am trying to decide which way to go on my amp purchase. I've had some nice basses over the years but not any really great bass amps.. This is going to be for my own enjoyment as I don't play out anywhere. I'm trying to decide between the MESA WALKABOUT SCOUT and the MESA SUBWAY 800+ and a MESA SUBWAY 15 cab. About the same $$. Love the sound of both and like the 800+ with the Subway 2-10 as well . Cant afford both Subway cabs at the same time but that could come later. Combo would probably be all I'd need but the extra power of the 800+ could be nice if in the future I were to play with someone. I've got a 4001C64s,Yamaha BB1200, and a Kay Jazz Special Reissue Bass, so you can guess which bass player I was influenced by. Thanks
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: MESA and RICKS

Post by jps »

Between those two options I'd go with the Subway 800+ and your choice of cabinet. You may not really even need the + version, as the extra EQ capabilities are most useful in a gigging scenario when one needs to adjust to the room you playing at. For home use you will more than likely be pretty close to the amp so the room doesn't play as big a part in the tone, especially if you are sitting within a couple feet of the speaker cabinet.

Another advantage of the head/cabinet is the controls are far more easily accessible.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

At one point in time, I had the good fortune of being able to play my BB1200, C64S, and Jazz basses through what I think is the closest thing to an old Bassman head "on steroids"; a Mesa 400+ with a 12AT7 pre-amp tube swapped in for the usual 12AX7. I played that through a pair of Mesa PH212's, and it was glorious while it lasted (injury forced me to downsize to a Mesa Walkabout + Scout Extension cab rig - great sounding in it's own right, but not quite as "Hallelujah" inspiring ;) ).
That being said, I'm sorely tempted to consider modernizing to the new Subway series - hoping to see Mesa offer some sort of "combo-ized" format ala the Walkabout.
T28

Post by T28 »

Not to throw a wrench into the mix but I had the Mesa Walkabout 12 and extension cab and sold it to get a Phil Jones Bass Compact Suitcase. About 12" cubed with 4-5" speakers and an underrated 450 watts. Clarity with a deep bass ( deceptive but the 5" speakers are truly amazing) in a small relatively light package of about 45 pounds makes it an ideal amp for home use and small full band gigs. Adding a second C4 cab will be enough to play in a medium size club without breaking a sweat.

Having said that, my Walkabout was a terrific amp that I enjoyed while owning it and of the two choices, I would go with the Subway head and cab of your choice.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

I've had the scout for years and love it. Will never part with it. I am considering, in the near future to pull the trigger on a subway cab - potentially the 2x10 to pair with my scout.
bugman

Post by bugman »

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try them out again soon for a side by side comparison but I am leaning towards the Subway.
geofio

Post by geofio »

I use a Mesa 4x12 vintage cab 4 ohm 1000w with a TC BH-550 amp and it sounds superb, and plenty of power in reserve. Plus they have tone prints you can download and they make a huge difference. I only play Rics.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm a fan of Ricks through Mesa, and play my 4004 and 4003 through a Buster 15 combo. I've tried the Subway with my 4004 and it also sounded fantastic--I'd buy one if I needed something lightweight.
4004Ci, 4003, 650S, 380L
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I had one of the walkabout/scout 1-12 combos about 12 years ago. Loved the cab,but didn't really get on with the head.
I replaced it with a Markbass cmd121p combo,which i thought did a better job of reproducing the distinctive differences in my basses sounds. I would still love to hear what the scout cab would sound like with a markbass head.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”