Treble pickup bezel

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Lefty Steve

Treble pickup bezel

Post by Lefty Steve »

Hi from the UK,
I've finally got round to removing the treble pickup cover from my 4003, purely because thats exactly where I like to play. To cover up the big ugly hole I fitted a treble bezel from Tubeampology and I am impressed with the look and the fit. I would consider £45 a little expensive for a small piece of plastic (albeit chrome plated) but the Rickenbacker pickup cover is also plastic and that is on a hand assembled quality bass. Has anyone else fitted one of these and have you any positive/negative comments?
Rickenbacker 4003 Mapleglo
Dean Edge 5
Yamaha BB 1100S
Squire vintage modified jazz bass
Various short instruments with 6 or 12 skinny strings
Ashdown ABM 500 evo 2
Various pedals
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Treble pickup bezel

Post by aceonbass »

These are actually only $36.00 here in the US, so anything over that was shipping or import duties. That said, I like these, and find them well made. I have a chrome plated one on my 4004Cii Ruby custom bass.
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

I've ordered lots of these over the years, always with good results.

And Frank is a super-nice guy to deal with. Perhaps you can order directly from him?
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
Boogie

Post by Boogie »

Got my Deluxe Chrome bezel from POTR for US$39.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I got the chromed bezel that has the thumb piece that sticks out I think it's the deluxe but not sure what it's called. I really like it a lot and the spacing seems perfect so when you're playing on the low Estring it feels like your finger's just moving to another string after you pluck. Easy to install. But I don't know if moving the ground lug to the position the designer recommends is best. I might try it directly contacting the surround for more direct contact and see if things get quieter. I think the bass is a tiny bit noisier without the factory cover. But not noisy enough to warrant putting it back on. I really like the bezel so I'm keeping it on.
Speed King

Post by Speed King »

I bought a 2016 Ruby Red Metallic 4003 back in Sept. of 2016,...within a few weeks of ownership, I had a chrome treble bezel on it. I use a pick, but I got the one with a thumb rest, just in case I decide to start playing bass "properly". :lol: I tried playing it with the stock pickup cover, but I found that the ideal place for me do my picking was just in front the treble pickup, so the pickup cover had to go. I love the treble bezel, pricey for a piece of plastic, but it makes my bass look like it was born that way.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

A 4003 that came with a thumb rest? I've never seen nor heard of such a thing.
Speed King

Post by Speed King »

Isaac wrote:A 4003 that came with a thumb rest? I've never seen nor heard of such a thing.
I probably didn't convey that properly, within a few weeks of ownership, I put a chrome treble bezel on it. It would be great to have the option of ordering a 4003 with a bezel. :D
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

So, something like this, then: http://www.tubeampology.com/2501.html
BigJohnAZ

Post by BigJohnAZ »

Isaac wrote:So, something like this, then: http://www.tubeampology.com/2501.html
I have one in my 4001 and love it.
1977 4001 Autumnglo with Rotosound S/S roundwounds
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Im finally getting around to ordering one of these,, do they still make the black ones? All I can find is the chrome version. :(
"Knowledge is Power"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”