RickoSound jack

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wings012345

RickoSound jack

Post by wings012345 »

Hey Question,
I plugged my cord into the RickoSound Jack and noticed the Treble Pickup was much fuller and Louder. Is that they it is on all Ricks? I know the Rick O Sound jack is used with the special Y cable for Dual amps. I just found it curious that when I plugged in my normal cable the treble pickup was fuller and louder.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: RickoSound jack

Post by squirebass »

I believe that if you plug a mono jack into your Ric-O-Sound outlet on your bass, the bridge pickup will be the ONLY pickup you get, the neck PU is completely disengaged.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Ric-O-Sound outlet sends the bridge PU to the tip of the input jack, and since you don't have a second channel for sleeve on a mono jack, no neck PU...
wings012345

Post by wings012345 »

yeah the only pickup that worked was the bridge. and the toggle switch has no effect. It just seem the pickup when plug in this was was louder and fulller. Almost like the cap was bypassed.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

If you plug your cable in until you feel the first click (the ring tang) then you will get only the neck pickup.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

wings012345 wrote:yeah the only pickup that worked was the bridge. and the toggle switch has no effect. It just seem the pickup when plug in this was was louder and fulller. Almost like the cap was bypassed.
The toggle switch still works. It's just that when you select the neck pickup, it kills the output if you've got a mono plug in the ROS jack. If you run in stereo, the bridge pickup will actually have a fuller sound due the fact that it's no longer interacting with the neck pickup on the same circuit. This is due to a cancellation of some overlapping frequencies that cause a slightly "scooped" tone when run together. It's possible to eliminate that "scooped" tone when running a mono output if you put a cap of .01uF or higher value in the bridge pickup circuit where the vintage tone cap would usually be.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”