4003 CB Copper Orangeglo (COG)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

9c1ny

Re: 4003 CB Copper Orangeglo (COG)

Post by 9c1ny »

Willcutt just listed 12 of them on eBay , very surprised they have sold so poorly, serial # and weight is listed on each
byoung

Post by byoung »

I really love the one I have, it looks fantastic to me.
T28

Post by T28 »

9c1ny wrote:Willcutt just listed 12 of them on eBay , very surprised they have sold so poorly, serial # and weight is listed on each
95% of the potential buyers were probably unaware of their existence. Now with worldwide exposure it will be interesting to see how quickly they will last.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

So all this time people are complaining about the treble pickup being crooked down there, and all the while it was the surround that was crooked! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
iriane

Post by iriane »

The best thing about the ones listed on eBay is that a couple out of the whole lot sorta kinda have somewhat properly installed bridge pickup surrounds that aren't THAT crooked.

...here's hoping that the pictures actually correspond to the actual basses for each auction; if I wanted one, I'd only want one with a bridge pickup that wasn't installed by Ray Charles with an oven mitt on one hand.

Some of them on eBay are even worse than the one Rickenbacker took a picture of...it's amazing they would see such "workmanship" and say, "Yeah, let's post THIS one on facebook!!!"

(actually that's the problem...they DON'T see such "workmanship" as a problem)

Sheesh.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Iriane, ever think that maybe you're on the wrong forum? Do you even HAVE a Rickenbacker?
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

A beautiful combination of eye - catching design and color. Very cool, indeed!

Jim
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

aceonbass wrote:Iriane, ever think that maybe you're on the wrong forum? Do you even HAVE a Rickenbacker?
Good point Dane. Someone needs to crawl back under their bridge and shut up.
"Knowledge is Power"
prowla

Post by prowla »

cheyenne wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Iriane, ever think that maybe you're on the wrong forum? Do you even HAVE a Rickenbacker?
Hmmm - the pickup in the OP pictures certainly looks crooked to me.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

It's better not to feed trolls

Nonetheless someone at Ric clearly needs to get his surrounds straight
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

prowla wrote:
cheyenne wrote:
Hmmm - the pickup in the OP pictures certainly looks crooked to me.
+1.... and I have definitely had a Rickenbacker or two in my time.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
RIC_FACTORY
RIC

Post by RIC_FACTORY »

The surround isn't crooked. Yes, it looks that way, but it's not. The angle makes it that way, so does the light. More a function of the angle though. If you are able to pull up the picture on your phone, look closely at the right edge of the surround against the left edge of the pickguard. The gap in between is even. If the surround had been mounted crooked, you would see it there too.

Also, the holes for the hardware on every 4003 (that includes these COGs) have been done by CNC for a few years now. There is no physical way it could be crooked. The bass rests in a body form fitted fixture when the holes are drilled, you can't set it in the machine any other way but dead-on straight. By the time a 4003 gets to the assembly dept, all the guy does is put the screws in the holes that are already there. So, if THIS one is crooked, then they're ALL crooked.

Bob Willcutt certainly hasn't mentioned anything to me regarding a crooked surround and we've been going back and forth since these were released as he wants to talk about an LE for a spcial event he has going on next year.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

EXCELLENT! Thank you, Ben. Stay tuned for the second edition of the book due out any day. :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks for setting the record straight :mrgreen: Ben! 8)
prowla

Post by prowla »

RIC_FACTORY wrote:The surround isn't crooked. Yes, it looks that way, but it's not. The angle makes it that way, so does the light. More a function of the angle though. If you are able to pull up the picture on your phone, look closely at the right edge of the surround against the left edge of the pickguard. The gap in between is even. If the surround had been mounted crooked, you would see it there too.

Also, the holes for the hardware on every 4003 (that includes these COGs) have been done by CNC for a few years now. There is no physical way it could be crooked. The bass rests in a body form fitted fixture when the holes are drilled, you can't set it in the machine any other way but dead-on straight. By the time a 4003 gets to the assembly dept, all the guy does is put the screws in the holes that are already there. So, if THIS one is crooked, then they're ALL crooked.

Bob Willcutt certainly hasn't mentioned anything to me regarding a crooked surround and we've been going back and forth since these were released as he wants to talk about an LE for a spcial event he has going on next year.
Thanks, for the reply, Ben.

I took a look at the ebay link earlier in the thread and, assuming they are all of the same bass, it doesn't look wonky in the other pictures.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”