String-type for model 4000 bass (set neck)

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

String-type for model 4000 bass (set neck)

Post by 4000 »

I understood the 4001 bass was intended for flatwound strings and some (or a big) risk is taken when using roundwounds, because of the higher tension.

So I figure the same will hold for the 'kind of preceding' 4000 bass, correct ? I realize this might be comparing apples with oranges though, since the 4000 (at least mine, from Dec 1973 I thought) has a 'set neck'... but if it'd make a difference, I could imagine the flatwounds would be even more in order compared to a 4001 with a neck through.

OK, long story short, only flats recommended for a 4000 ?

I've used roundwounds (45-105 :shock: ) on it for years with apparent problems, but perhaps it's a good moment to start doing the right thing :wink:

Curious to your experiences & thoughts on this, would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: String-type for model 4000 bass (set neck)

Post by jdogric12 »

A true 4000, not routed for a neck pickup, actually might be a little stronger!
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

It depends on the string's tension. Originally, Ricks were fitted with Maxima flats from the factory.
These had a very low tension. The early rounds such as Rotosounds had a greater tension so it was a gamble if you used them.

The thing is(was), not all flats are low tension. Labella 760s are cables!

Anyway- Today there are many round wound strings available with low tensions so that you really don't have to worry unless you're fussy about marring the finished surface of the fingerboard.

Post by 4000 »

jdogric12 wrote:A true 4000, not routed for a neck pickup, actually might be a little stronger!

Thanks, that'd be good news! IIRC my 4000 is indeed not routed for the neck PU.

Regards

Post by 4000 »

chefothefuture wrote:It depends on the string's tension. Originally, Ricks were fitted with Maxima flats from the factory.
These had a very low tension. The early rounds such as Rotosounds had a greater tension so it was a gamble if you used them.

The thing is(was), not all flats are low tension. Labella 760s are cables!

Anyway- Today there are many round wound strings available with low tensions so that you really don't have to worry unless you're fussy about marring the finished surface of the fingerboard.

Thanks for the info. Ah, I see, ít depends'w.r.t. rounds vs flats having higher tension, good to know.

I know a player which has a 4001 with LaBella's on them, don't know which type of flats, I'll ask him.

W.r.t. the surface of the fingerboard, I understand the concern ... could have added that this 4000 actually has been through all kind of 'trouble', so cosmetically it's not such an issue...

OK, sounds like there's not too big a problem, good to hear. It withstands rounds for a few decades already, so can most likely keep it like that.

Thanks all!

Bye
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

4000's and 4080's have extra sustain as a result of all the extra wood, IMHO.

Post by 4000 »

jdogric12 wrote:4000's and 4080's have extra sustain as a result of all the extra wood, IMHO.
Could imagine that that relatively small piece of wood at that location could be noticable.

On the other hand, there was a recent series of two articles in... GP ? about bolt on, set & neck through, where differences were shown to be relatively small... if at all noticable.

On the ANother hand, basses & guitars do sound different, has to come from somewhere.

BTW, one day I'd sure like to mod that 4000 into a 4080... :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”