Parted out Ric jack plate

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

prowla

Parted out Ric jack plate

Post by prowla »

FYI, I’ve just bought the Ric twin jack plate H3 6200 for my parts box (via another forum).

I went to enter it onto the Register, but it’s already there.

Is there a mechanism to change registration details?

I believe the bass was parted out by The Butcher Of New Jersey.

My intention is to use it, along with other Ric parts I have to build a custom bass which won’t look like any known Ric but should sound like one…
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: Parted out Ric jack plate

Post by Ashgray »

There are others (including apparently well-recommended luthiers), who switch jack plates during repair works, leaving some customers with one that doesn't belong to their instrument, indicating an incorrect year of manufacture by RIC, consequently, it's difficult if not impossible to register the instrument here.

The perpetrator knows who he is, others may be surprised, but that's all I'm saying on this site....

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
prowla

Post by prowla »

Well anyway, I've got it registered here, so it's above board...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

My $0.02 would be to leave the register as is. The purpose is to document how Ricks were made, and the serial number does that best for its original guitar, not your new project, which (as cool as I'm sure it is) does nothing to further the purpose of the register. So I think just leaving it as is is probably best.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:My $0.02 would be to leave the register as is. The purpose is to document how Ricks were made, and the serial number does that best for its original guitar, not your new project, which (as cool as I'm sure it is) does nothing to further the purpose of the register. So I think just leaving it as is is probably best.
Fully agree, here. The original history of the S/N is what should be preserved.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Winfield Vintage sells unstamped reproduction jack plates. You should purchase one of those for your project and sell the actual RIC part to someone who can use it on a Rickenbacker.
prowla

Post by prowla »

aceonbass wrote:Winfield Vintage sells unstamped reproduction jack plates. You should purchase one of those for your project and sell the actual RIC part to someone who can use it on a Rickenbacker.
Hmmm, the Ric it belonged to has been parted out, so surely putting it on another one would be invalid?
prowla

Post by prowla »

jdogric12 wrote:My $0.02 would be to leave the register as is. The purpose is to document how Ricks were made, and the serial number does that best for its original guitar, not your new project, which (as cool as I'm sure it is) does nothing to further the purpose of the register. So I think just leaving it as is is probably best.
Is that the aim of the register?

I would say that having somebody authenticate that they actually have the plate with the s/n on it is more valid than hearsay that it was seen on ebay.

(My project is an aside which may or may not be relevant to someone, depending upon their interest.)
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

prowla wrote:
aceonbass wrote:Winfield Vintage sells unstamped reproduction jack plates. You should purchase one of those for your project and sell the actual RIC part to someone who can use it on a Rickenbacker.
Hmmm, the Ric it belonged to has been parted out, so surely putting it on another one would be invalid?
Perhaps, but it would still be an authentic plate that could be used as a core to send into Rickenbacker for a replacement "XX" plate whose serial number would then be associated with a specific instrument in RIC's files. It's also worth more than the Winfield plate, so you'd make a little profit too.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

I bought a blank jack plate from Winfield and got my local luthier to stamp the genuine SN of my bass into it - naturally he wanted to see evidence that the SN actually belonged to my bass, which I provided. I still have the bogus one and, if I ever find out who's bass it really belongs to, I'd happily send it to them, free of charge.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
prowla

Post by prowla »

aceonbass wrote:
prowla wrote:
Perhaps, but it would still be an authentic plate that could be used as a core to send into Rickenbacker for a replacement "XX" plate whose serial number would then be associated with a specific instrument in RIC's files. It's also worth more than the Winfield plate, so you'd make a little profit too.
Well, if the genuine owner of the bass could tally them up and wanted it, I'd probably be happy to do the trade and make a few bob.

Alternatively, I may find that I buy a barebones Ric to do up myself; that's not beyond the realms of possibility.

In all honesty, I think the gibsondependable bloke should keep the jack plate with the bass when he parts them out!

But the thing about me posting it here is that it's all above board for folks to see, which I think is at least part of the aim of the Register.
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

Paul:

I don't represent the Register, I just contribute to it.

Typically when we find a non RIC with an authentic RIC jackplate on it we mark it as fake in the register. Even an authentic RIC with a different jackplate on it gets flagged as fake.

The purpose of the entry for a butchered RIC is to show what the original instrument looked like before it was parted out.

There have been a few instances here where people have tried to restore these RICS and in theory having images of what the instrument looked like originally can be useful. Also at least one person was able to figure out what the SN was for his carcass, because we track butchered instruments so closely.

I assume Peter assigned the register entry to your account, so in the end, that is his call.

But I agree that an unstamped jackplate is more honest.

So there is that to consider.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
prowla

Post by prowla »

Ontario_RIC_fan wrote:Paul:

I don't represent the Register, I just contribute to it.

Typically when we find a non RIC with an authentic RIC jackplate on it we mark it as fake in the register. Even an authentic RIC with a different jackplate on it gets flagged as fake.

The purpose of the entry for a butchered RIC is to show what the original instrument looked like before it was parted out.

There have been a few instances here where people have tried to restore these RICS and in theory having images of what the instrument looked like originally can be useful. Also at least one person was able to figure out what the SN was for his carcass, because we track butchered instruments so closely.

I assume Peter assigned the register entry to your account, so in the end, that is his call.

But I agree that an unstamped jackplate is more honest.

So there is that to consider.
OK; well, if someone has pics of the original Ric, then I'd be happy for them to be associated with the jack plate.

As it stands, since that's the only place where the s/n is stamped, it could well be a difficult process.

But heck, as I said, I wouldn't even object to coming to an arrangement to reunite it with its original body if the opportunity arose and bonafides were established - that would surely be within the spirit of the Register and forum.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”