Wiring diagram again.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

BRcarlos

Wiring diagram again.

Post by BRcarlos »

Anyone know how I can get the diagram from Joey's Bassnotes? I've rewired my 84 4003 several times but just can not
get it to work correctly. HELP!
Thank you.
ram

Re: Wiring diagram again.

Post by ram »

I'd pay Dane to build one.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BRcarlos wrote:Anyone know how I can get the diagram from Joey's Bassnotes? I've rewired my 84 4003 several times but just can not
get it to work correctly. HELP!
Thank you.
Are you adding the vintage tone switch, or just trying to get it working like it should be? Here is a photo of my old 4001 to show how the wiring should be. Same as on your 4003, except for possibly the small .0047 cap for the bridge pickup (yours may have just a piece of wire instead of the cap). The red wire you see is a bypass I added for that cap.
4001 Control-Wiring_800_02.jpg
Hope this helps.
BRcarlos

Post by BRcarlos »

Yeah, I'm looking at Dane's harnesses on eBay but I would really like to save the money. I just want it to work as is should. When I bought it it had been rewired to mono. I've looked at most photos and diagrams on the internet but just cant get it right. I think it's the jacks. They don't look the same as other photos. In the Scott photo, the wire from the ROS jack with the shrink wrap, where does that connect at the jack?
Last edited by BRcarlos on Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Where do you live? Perhaps there is someone near you who can help you out?
BRcarlos

Post by BRcarlos »

I have both pickups working with the mono jack but the when I roll off the either tone control for one pickup it cuts treble on both pickups. I have nothing coming out of the ROS jack. I'm not far from Paul (Mr Jingle Jangle) but can't afford him either.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Can you post some photos of how it is wired at the moment? It sounds like it is wired similar to a Jazz Bass but with two tone controls wired to the harness doing the same thing. Have you tried rolling one tone control down and then the other to hear if it rolls off the tone even more?
nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by nukebass »

This diagram is pretty useful, I think. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/wirin ... atics/bass

Scroll down and find the Rickenbacker diagram. The diagram is for humbuckers, but you can wire the single coil the same way if you ignore the extra wires and just use your positive (pickup switch) and negative (ground/back of pots) in the same place. This gives you the pot wiring, too. What's important to make sure is that you still have the mono switching jack and the stereo jack to wire it this way. The bass is wired for stereo and mono switching jack just takes that signal and combines the two pickup signals together for a mono signal (at the point labeled "switching terminals").
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

nukebass wrote:This diagram is pretty useful, I think. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/wirin ... atics/bass Scroll down and find the Rickenbacker diagram.
That diagram is actually for Gibson style wiring, and is completely useless for wiring a Rickenbacker instrument correctly.The diagram doesn't even show where the ground wires go on the output jacks..... :roll:
songdog

Post by songdog »

BRcarlos wrote:I have both pickups working with the mono jack but the when I roll off the either tone control for one pickup it cuts treble on both pickups.
If you have the selector switch in the center position (both pickups on), that's normal. Plugging into the mono jack closes a switch that connects the two pickup circuits together. The tone controls for the two pickups are then wired in parallel

Using the switch to select just one pickup should disconnect the other pickup's tone control. So, for example, if you turn down the tone on the bridge pickup but select only the neck pickup, you should get a much brighter sound.
BRcarlos wrote:I have nothing coming out of the ROS jack.
Obviously something's wrong there :shock:

Wiring schematics are available on the Rickenbacker.com web site.
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
BRcarlos

Post by BRcarlos »

DSC_0133.JPG
My mess.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The ground is missing between the tone pots....and the excessive amount of solder means that one or more components have been killed excessive heat.
BRcarlos

Post by BRcarlos »

No wonder it was just mono when I bought it. Thanks Dane. See you on eBay for a new harness.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Thanks Rick! Looks like I'll be firing up the welding torch....I mean soldering iron tonight.... :wink:
prowla

Post by prowla »

nukebass wrote:This diagram is pretty useful, I think. http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/wirin ... atics/bass

Scroll down and find the Rickenbacker diagram. The diagram is for humbuckers, but you can wire the single coil the same way if you ignore the extra wires and just use your positive (pickup switch) and negative (ground/back of pots) in the same place. This gives you the pot wiring, too. What's important to make sure is that you still have the mono switching jack and the stereo jack to wire it this way. The bass is wired for stereo and mono switching jack just takes that signal and combines the two pickup signals together for a mono signal (at the point labeled "switching terminals").
The SD diagram has an error - it shows the tone caps connected to the volume pots (ie. on the output side of the selector switch), whereas they should be on the pickup side, so that switching to one pickup disconnects the other's tone cap.

Otherwise it's about right; since their pickups are humbuckers, just treat their black as the Ric's centre wire and their green+shield as the Ric's shield.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”