Normal for a new Ric?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

maxwell

Re: Normal for a new Ric?

Post by maxwell »

"Another case of too good to be true on planet earth." I was thinking of this and the blue dot under the truss rod cover, and it occurred to me that perhaps (and I'm only guessing) that the blue dot identifies the bass as second quality.

Years ago I was stationed in Germany and visited porcelain factories in Europe. At one German factory, we could see piles of smashed dishes being shoveled into a dumpster. My wife and I were curious about this, so we asked and were told that the dishes were being destroyed because they were defective. The factory only sold (released) first quality items.

We visited the Lladró factory outlet in Valencia, Spain. Here they sold second quality figurines, etc. Each item was near-perfect and usually you (me, the untrained eye) could not find the flaw. Each second quality piece had an identifying mark incorporated into the glaze on the bottom of the piece. Could the significance of this subtle marking also be applied to the blue dot on your bass?

I always thought RIC was similar in policy to the first example I mentioned. However, I can't think of any other reason for that blue dot to exist except to specifically identify it as "less that perfect," perhaps being sold to the dealer with the understanding that there would be no factory warranty support for the bass if the need arises, with all trouble-shooting adjustment (physical and/or financial) resting entirely with the dealer. (However, you would think that the dealer, if this were the case, would reveal that fact up front, prior to finalizing the sale.) Well, that's my thought of the day.

I advise that you NOT ask or say anything whatsoever to the dealer unless he decides to back out of the return. Just take the money and run. I just wanted to jot down my thought, FYI.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:"...I can't think of any other reason for that blue dot to exist except to specifically identify it as "less that perfect," perhaps being sold to the dealer with the understanding that there would be no factory warranty support for the bass if the need arises, with all trouble-shooting adjustment (physical and/or financial) resting entirely with the dealer...
:roll:

So, you haven't considered the possibility of the Blue Dot (sounds like a form of acid, remember those days? :wink: :mrgreen: ) as being an employee identifying mark, that signifies the person who worked in that area of the instrument? Dale Fortune told me, years ago, about how he numbered the area near the nut in the cavity on instruments he worked on when he worked for Rickenbacker in the '70s.
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Oh, I considered that, but dismissed any employee identification other than written initials, (yes!) written numbers, etc. They are much more specific than a small, limited number of primary colors. I still think the dot signifies some build characteristic, or in this case, some sort or deficiency.

I'd call, but I'm still waiting for a reply to my question (clarification) about a correct strap bolt that I wrote about seven weeks ago.... :wink: I should probably should have asked about that here. :)

Fender employees have always initialed the key components they make or assemble (neck, body, pickup [bobbin]). Leo may have gotten the idea from Uncle Rick.

Anyway, how about everyone tonight removing their truss rod covers and report whether or not a dot is in there, and if so, what color it is. :D Should be fun!
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

Rickenbacker doesn't sell seconds. So much for that theory. :mrgreen:
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Ha, ha! I really didn't think so, but it seemed like the only logical reason for it that I could honestly think of. Well, I still think all 1,359 of us should remove our truss rod covers and check. We can figure it out! :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:...how about everyone tonight removing their truss rod covers and report whether or not a dot is in there, and if so, what color it is. :D Should be fun!
maxwell wrote:I still think all 1,359 of us should remove our truss rod covers and check.
I checked, mine are painted over (Snowglo and Jetglo) so they are no longer visible. In your case, the finish is a clear one (MG) so the dot is still visible.

Hope this helps. :wink: :mrgreen:
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

^ ^ ^Actually, that seems like the most plausible theory yet. No wonder I can't see my dots! :)

Ah ha! Blue dot means it is planned to have a MG finish. Maybe red = FG? Black, of course, = JG. White = SG. This strategy provides for quick and accurate identification for the Finish Dept. guys. This actually makes sense. OK, only the owners of MG guitars need to check under the truss rod cover.... :wink:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:^ ^ ^Actually, that seems like the most plausible theory yet. No wonder I can't see my dots! :)

Ah ha! Blue dot means it is planned to have a MG finish. Maybe red = FG? Black, of course, = JG. White = SG. This strategy provides for quick and accurate identification for the Finish Dept. guys. This actually makes sense. OK, only the owners of MG guitars need to check under the truss rod cover.... :wink:
What happens if one of us finds a red dot under the TRC of a Mapleglo instrument? Then what? :mrgreen:
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

Then I guess we'll just have to wait until Mr. Hall chimes in and ends the suspense....
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

maxwell wrote:^ ^ ^Actually, that seems like the most plausible theory yet. No wonder I can't see my dots! :)

Years from now someone will google this and spread the misinformation in their ebay sale!

And anyway... wouldn't a blue dot (were any of this even true) mean Midnight Blue???
FabGearHead

Post by FabGearHead »

Blue dot = midnight blue? Then surely, a clear dot would indicate mapleglo...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What does a Microdot indicate?
teeder

Post by teeder »

jps wrote:What does a Microdot indicate?
An interesting evening? :mrgreen: :lol:
maxwell

Post by maxwell »

I'm thinking the dots, perhaps, relate to build options, and their role in build assembly. (Although I am unfamiliar with RIC basses.). Each color dot corresponds to a similar dot on a guitar body/neck pocket. Helpful to preclude an assembly mismatch....

No, that's not it. (The dot would be on the end of the other end of the neck.). Oh, well....

Anyway, I hope the OP's refund comes through OK.

JM - Let us know, and what you get instead. :)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

maxwell wrote:I'm thinking the dots, perhaps, relate to build options, and their role in build assembly. (Although I am unfamiliar with RIC basses.). Each color dot corresponds to a similar dot on a guitar body/neck pocket. Helpful to preclude an assembly mismatch....
Interesting idea on a neck though instrument. :wink: :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”