Vintage pickguard queston

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Vintage pickguard queston

Post by cheyenne »

I'm looking at the Pickguardian website trying to decide if I want the vintage rear painted plexi guard for my 2016 4003S, but the example that they show on the website isnt very good. I know Tony does great work, and I have bought his guards before, but the example is terrible. Does anyone here have one of these installed on their newer 4003 or 4003S? If so, could you post a picture please??

Thanks.
"Knowledge is Power"
donhank

Re: Vintage pickguard queston

Post by donhank »

Hi Scott,

Not a recent 4003, but here are pics of the back-painted, clear plexi PG which Tony made for my MG 4000. I pulled the original order form from the file: this example uses "standard white" paint and a "rounded over" edge bevel. I also specified to countersink all mounting holes and omit holes for the tug bar.

Hope this helps.

D~
Attachments
PG bevel.jpg
PG bout.jpg
PG controls.jpg
PG full front.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Here are photos of the vintage back painted plexi pickguard Tony made for my old '04 4003FL.
Lucite Pickguard 02 800 PS .jpg
Lucite-Pickguard-1280-05a.jpg
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Thanks Jeff. He made me one for the '88 V63 that I had, and it was great, top notch quality. But I'm looking for a pic of a modern 4003 with the 1" neck pickup spacing with the vintage guard.

Im just not sure how it will look with the 1" spacing. :?
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The 1" spacing will be what it is. The photo (I think) you are referring to on Tony's site is essentially a mash up of a mid '00s shaped pickguard with a longer section added on to it so that does look a bit incongruous. Not that RIC is back to making the pickguard looking far more like the classic shape of the '70s version (with a couple of "modern" curves/shapes still on it, primarily the corner by the E string side near the pickup surround) it could look a lot better if he makes those changes to it. As you are not far from Columbus you could (with bass in hand) visit with Tony, then he could work his magic and make it just like you want it to look and fit.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

What pic are you looking at that you don't like? Linky?
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

this pic:

http://www.pickguardian.com/product/ric ... ***-guard/

Just looking for a pic of one with the correct screw holes, without the plastic pickup cover thingy.
"Knowledge is Power"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I bought one for my 2015 4003S,, that has 1/2" spacing (the guard, not the bass!) but may not install out of fear of opening up that cavity so close to the edge of the body. It looks great. I'm still unclear what you don't like about that pic... I imagine sunlight may not have been the best environment to capture how that kind of guard really looks.
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

jdogric12 wrote:I bought one for my 2015 4003S,, that has 1/2" spacing (the guard, not the bass!) but may not install out of fear of opening up that cavity so close to the edge of the body. It looks great. I'm still unclear what you don't like about that pic... I imagine sunlight may not have been the best environment to capture how that kind of guard really looks.
Plug the hole and rerout might be the only way to go..... or sell the guard and get a new one with 1" spacing.... :mrgreen:
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:I bought one for my 2015 4003S,, that has 1/2" spacing (the guard, not the bass!) but may not install out of fear of opening up that cavity so close to the edge of the body.
Don't be a chicken. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I bought the bass for one gig that's now in the rear view mirror, so I think I might just try to sell it. The 2030GF is such a great bass I don't really feel I'd need the 4003S unless I do more Genesis gigs... which I don't see happening any time soon.

Here it is. It's got a fake plexi TRC, toaster, horseshoe, notched tailpiece, vintage-style strap buttons, and been "Rutherford-ized" meaning the tone knobs removed, and the volume knobs replaced with chicken head knobs. I also got a tugbar for it, but if I don't install the guard I won't do the tugbar either, obviously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejs00-dmuaI

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”