Electronics issue with new 4004L.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

byoung

Electronics issue with new 4004L.

Post by byoung »

I have an issue with a 2016 Snowglo 4004L. I purchased it new over a year ago and it worked fine. It has been played very little and kept in the case. Now when I plug it in there is no sound from the bass except some noise. If I touch the knobs when playing then you can hear what you are playing but there is also noise present that is not normal. I assume it could be a ground issue but I opened the back and all the wires appear to be connected well and nothing is loose or obvious. I have tried other cables and ruled that out as they all work with my 4004CII. Is this likely a bridge ground issue or something else? Thanks for your help.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Electronics issue with new 4004L.

Post by aceonbass »

Time to get a multi meter, and check the continuity of connections, as well as measure the pot resistances. Off hand, I'd say there's a problem with the mini switch RIC uses. I don't like them, and have seen more than one fail internally.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

It could, possibly, be the switch but as your problem is not related to any one particular pickup, I would be looking at the output jack contacts first. I have used these mini switches for decades in various projects and have seen only one failure in all that time.
byoung

Post by byoung »

Thanks guys, will get a meter tomorrow and start checking things out, thanks again.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”