Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Isaac

Fishbone guitars

Post by Isaac »

aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Fishbone guitars

Post by aceonbass »

Looks like an awful bad Rick copy. So bad in fact that it probably doesn't infringe on their trademarks.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

That's possible, I suppose, but Rickenbacker is usually pretty firm with anyone making even poor copies.

For what it's worth, the bass copies don't look all that good, to me. Most look Rickish, but have Jazz-style pickups.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I've seen worse Chinese/Indonesian knockoffs. The finish work is usually pretty good, but the electronics generally complete garbage. Interestingly, the chromed wire tailpiece looks virtually identical to the one on my son's Jay Turser Beatle Bass clone, with more holes drilled in it for string anchors. It seems like one hardware company provides parts for 100 different Chinese clone companies. I finally saw a Chickenbacker Bass in a pawn shop a few weeks back. The finish work was actually pretty nice, but the hardware and electronics were junk. Didn't sound much like a Ric either, kind of a weird "hollow" or scooped tone I tend to associate with bad pickups, but played about as well as any low-end bass I've tried recently, and better than some that cost a lot more. It had a fake Rickenbacker TRC on it, which I mentioned to the flunky behind the counter, he could care less of course. Anybody stupid enough to buy this thing for the $400 they were asking, thinking they were getting a real Ric, probably deserves it!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”