Christmas Ricks?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Christmas Ricks?

Post by libratune »

bassduke49 wrote:Desert Gold was much more subtle. I saw it as "metallic sand" rather than "gold." This experiment(?) is more of a metalflake yellow-gold. Not a fan. Like the BRG though!
I think the new gold is similar to Shoreline Gold. Compare:
New Gold
New Gold
Desert Gold
Desert Gold
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yeah, that gold is more intense that DG, Much nicer; I always found DG a bit washed out looking.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Having just gotten my first DG, I can say it's definitely subtle. Also looks better in person, like many RIC finishes. (Lookin' at you, Sea Green)
bdawson7

Post by bdawson7 »

My favorite thing about these is the pickguard shape: Its finally a stable distance between it and the body edge. Especially obvious in the two photos of gold examples above.
Thats always bugged me on all RIC guitars and basses - it looks so sloppy, but is so easy to fix - just make a new plastic mold. The 330 21-fret vs. 24-fret is the most obvious to me. I will only get a 24-fret 330 for this reason - it just fits better. And the 660 has a tiny "kick" at the bottom near the tailpiece.
Looking back at the history, its obvious the PG is a hold-over signature element from the capri days, and to save money they just use the same shape for the different models. Maybe a little OCD on my part, but it all adds up to the harmonium of design.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

"Knowledge is Power"
Peterbuilt

Post by Peterbuilt »

Congrats - it's gorgeous!
I was lucky enough to lay my hands on one as well.
Gear: #greenmachines
- Peterbuilt Basses / RickenbackerFarm (dealer) -
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

These must be pictures of my new Ricks before they were packed into Santa's sleigh -- I've been VERY VERY GOOD this year! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”