Tailpiece modification

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ibal

Tailpiece modification

Post by ibal »

The tailpiece on my 2009 C64 bass has developed an annoying amount of lift despite the low tension strings that I use. I'd like to replace it with a five-screw tailpiece but I'll be sad to lose the vintage "notch." Has anyone here ever cut a notch into a standard tailpiece?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Tailpiece modification

Post by jdogric12 »

I would think that's more trouble than it's worth, literally. Why not just buy a regular tailpiece to use, and save the original in case you ever sell the bass?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

jdogric12 wrote:I would think that's more trouble than it's worth, literally. Why not just buy a regular tailpiece to use, and save the original in case you ever sell the bass?
Isn't that what he plans to do?

You could saw a gap in the teeth, but you'll damage the plating in the process.
Even if you polish the zinc it'll stay visible
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

ibal wrote:The tailpiece on my 2009 C64 bass has developed an annoying amount of lift despite the low tension strings that I use. I'd like to replace it with a five-screw tailpiece but I'll be sad to lose the vintage "notch." Has anyone here ever cut a notch into a standard tailpiece?
Dennis....I have a nice current 5 screw tailpiece I'll trade for your bent C64 tailpiece. I'll even notch it for you. PM me for details if interested.
ibal

Post by ibal »

Thanks for the offer, but I'd like to hang on to the original tailpiece. Some potential future owner might not be as annoyed about the lift as I am.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”