4004 Flats vs Rounds

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teeder

Re: 4004 Flats vs Rounds

Post by teeder »

jps wrote:The Snowglo has TI Jazz Flats on it.
Jeff, is that because they sound better on that bass, or just the way it worked out?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That's because the 4004L SPC was planned from the beginning to be the roundwound string bass for me. I had TI JFs on the Ruby 4004L and loved the tone so when I sold that I transfered the strings to the Snowglo one and they have stayed there ever since.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

cassius987 wrote:If you use the HB1s in series wiring, I bet they sound awesome with thumpy flats. Probably the perfect setup for some dub music. Zingy rounds are wasted on those pickups (wired in series, anyway).
Are you talking about the individual coils within the pickups in series (the usual way), the pickups in series with each other (unusual) or both?
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Isaac wrote:Are you talking about the individual coils within the pickups in series (the usual way), the pickups in series with each other (unusual) or both?
The former, not the latter.

If you wire them single coil or parallel they regain a lot of the missing high-mid character. But series wiring does a good job of delivering a low-mid gut punch.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Okay, cool. That's why I have a series/single switch for my bridge pickup on my 4004. My neck pickup, unfortunately, is stuck in single coil mode due to an open coil. I experimented with parallel/single, but couldn't hear any difference in tone between them. Running both pickups single coil gives me a fairly bright tone, the kind I usually expect from a Ric. Putting the bridge pickup in series fattens up the tone considerably, and I like it by itself in series as well, but it's a lot louder!
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

Flats. Gold tape wound. LaBella.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”