Black pickguard and truss rod covers

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

skychurch

Black pickguard and truss rod covers

Post by skychurch »

I got a new Fireglo 4003 in 2013. I love the bass and have made some slight mods to it but have always disliked the "very white" pickguard and truss rod covers.

I was thinking of changing them to black. Does anyone know where I can get a black pickguard and truss cover (I think they are called TRC - not sure what that stands for)?

It seems that the most difficult thing it to find a black truss rod cover, for some strange reason.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

p.s. If you have any other suggestions regarding a color change, let me know. I've seen a few Fireglo with black and think they look great. I was also considering something like a cream color like I have on my Strat.
Attachments
Rickenbacker 4003-4.jpg
bassduke49

Re: Black pickguard and truss rod covers

Post by bassduke49 »

Pickguardian can set you up with a black pick guard.

Here's a simple homemade solution to have a "reverse" (white letters on black) TRC. The raised-letter TRC is made from white plastic. Remove it, and use a spray can of gloss (or matte if you wish) black over the entire TRC. Once thoroughly dry, use a sanding block and some fine-grit paper (I like 400-grit wet-or-dry) and carefully sand off the paint from the raised letters. If you don't get too beasty with the sanding, you'll simply expose the white plastic of the raised letters. Instant white-on-black TRC! :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
skychurch

Post by skychurch »

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into it although I'm a bit nervous about sanding the only truss rod cover I have for my Ric (but it may be my only option).

Hey, I just recognized your name ... you're Paul Boyer!

Back in 2013, I met you at Premier Bass Guitars in Superior, CO. I bought a signed copy of your Rickenbacker book and was just reading it again earlier today.

I was very glad I got to meet Dan before he passed. What a great guy and his store was amazing.

See attached image; I'm the goofy looking guy in the blue t-shirt to your right.

Jim
Attachments
RickColoBassGroup_Premier_081813.jpg
Last edited by skychurch on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Oh, sure! I remember the event well! Yes, sad about Dan.

The second edition of the book came out this past July. 16 more pages and everything was updated!

As long as you go slow with the relatively fine sandpaper, you won't damage the TRC. :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

bassduke49 wrote:Pickguardian can set you up with a black pick guard.

Here's a simple homemade solution to have a "reverse" (white letters on black) TRC. The raised-letter TRC is made from white plastic. Remove it, and use a spray can of gloss (or matte if you wish) black over the entire TRC. Once thoroughly dry, use a sanding block and some fine-grit paper (I like 400-grit wet-or-dry) and carefully sand off the paint from the raised letters. If you don't get too beasty with the sanding, you'll simply expose the white plastic of the raised letters. Instant white-on-black TRC! :D
This. I've done it a few times with great results. Sure beats paying out the over inflated price of a real one. :shock:
"Knowledge is Power"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm all about FG + BT, but it's never quite right to me with the white binding. Bummer you can't change that too!!!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I feel the same way jdog,,However, I may do it with my 4003s fireglo. No binding to worry about. :D
"Knowledge is Power"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

cheyenne wrote:I feel the same way jdog,,However, I may do it with my 4003s fireglo. No binding to worry about. :D
Briliant! If I hadn't "Rutherfordized" mine (to match the 1972 Belgium TV appearance) I'd consider doing the same!
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

jdogric12 wrote:I'm all about FG + BT, but it's never quite right to me with the white binding. Bummer you can't change that too!!!
Not a problem here imho.

Also, black plastic parts against white binging works very well visually on Gibsons.

"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I can make an exception for a 4080! :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I've always thought black pickguards looked better than white...
DSCN0666_1280.jpg
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have wondered about the "very white" pick guards myself. I looked around to see if anyone made one in cream or ivory, but didn't find one. A friend suggested tortoiseshell. Found that, but it wasn't cheap.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Tony at pickguardian.com can make them in many colors, prices are pretty reasonable too...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

cjj wrote:Tony at pickguardian.com can make them in many colors, prices are pretty reasonable too...
He might, but there is no off-white available as a standard option. And reasonable is relative, I suppose. $60-$70 for a pick guard seems like a lot to me. I have basses I bought for not much more.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Isaac wrote:I have wondered about the "very white" pick guards myself. I looked around to see if anyone made one in cream or ivory, but didn't find one. A friend suggested tortoiseshell. Found that, but it wasn't cheap.
Order a clear pickguard and spray the back with whatever shade of white you want. Like a Chris Squire Signature pickguard. IMHO the white-backed clear guard looks way better than the never-yellowing-bright-white plexiglas guards. It will look like a pre-'74 TRC - they are white-backed clear Plexi and with the slight yellowing match beautifully the yellowed binding.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”