Pot Wiring issues?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Webpirate

Pot Wiring issues?

Post by Webpirate »

I have two issues that I think might be possibly related.
1977 4001.
1) Bridge pickup is very quiet compared to neck pickup.
2) both volume controls seem to turn all volume down..
I'll try to explain. If I have the toggle switch in the bridge and turn both volumes up it's quiet but sounds normal for treble/bridge pickup.
Here's where things get odd.
Switch in bridge position:
Neck volume up, bridge volume up = fine (aside from low volume)
Neck volume down, bridge volume up = no sound (unexpected)
Neck volume up, bridge volume down = no sound (as expected)

Switch in middle position:
Neck volume up, bridge volume up = fine (aside from low volume from bridge pickup)
Neck volume down, bridge volume up = no sound (unexpected)
Neck volume up, bridge volume down = no sound (unexpected)

Switch in neck position:
Neck volume up, bridge volume up = fine
Neck volume down, bridge volume up = no sound (expected)
Neck volume up, bridge volume down = no sound (unexpected)

Any ideas? The short(pun intended) of it is that both volume pots kill the volume no matter what position the switch is in..
Webpirate

Re: Pot Wiring issues?

Post by Webpirate »

So as much as I wanted until I had to change the strings to investigate I decided to to is right away. 
There was a short. How it happened I think I just never noticed it, could have been from factory.
All I had to do was push the 47 cap. Down from shorting out that pot. Now perfectly working except volume on neck pickup is still low. 
If I bypass the 47 cap. Will it increase the volume?

https://ibb.co/jVQ0j6
songdog

Post by songdog »

Assuming there's nothing else wrong in the wiring - yes, bypassing the cap will increase the volume from the bridge pickup. It will also change the tone, which you may or may not like. It's easy to try: twist a wire tightly around the leads of the cap so you short it out. If you prefer it that way, solder it in place. Done.

If you want to get a little more involved, get a pot with a push-pull switch on it to replace the tone control for the bridge pickup. Then you can switch between tones.

@Aceonbass here can build you an entire new wiring harness with new pots that are the right value (the ones in old basses often are not) and the switch. I haven't tried one of his (I do my own wiring) but if you look around here as well as over on another forum where people "talk" about "bass" you'll see a lot of good reviews of his product.

Yet another choice is to use the Rick-O-Sound output and amplify the pickups separately. Run the bridge pickup to its own preamp channel, or a completely separate amp, then you can turn it up as loud as you want.
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
Webpirate

Post by Webpirate »

Ok I figured out the problem with my low output on the Bridge pickup. Looks like the .0047 capacitor is broke . Bypassed it and full volume restored.. now
1) where do I get a .0047 capacitor
2) are the push pull pots pre wired with .047 or will I need a new capacitor AND a Push pull switch...

https://image.ibb.co/eYF9PG/20180122_163954.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”