New basses

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: New basses

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:I like the new pickups with the dot inlays, a perfect balance. If the neck had the deluxe inlays it would be to much, in my aesthetic mind.
I agree. It might clash, as the shapes and their orientations are fairly different.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jps wrote:I like the new pickups with the dot inlays, a perfect balance. If the neck had the deluxe inlays it would be to much, in my aesthetic mind.
Er, too much! :mrgreen:
cassius987 wrote:
jps wrote:I like the new pickups with the dot inlays, a perfect balance. If the neck had the deluxe inlays it would be to [sic] :mrgreen: much, in my aesthetic mind.
I agree. It might clash, as the shapes and their orientations are fairly different.
That, too.
teeder

Post by teeder »

jdogric12 wrote:I wish the haters would just keep their mouths shut. They ruin it for the rest of us!
So if something is not aesthetically pleasing to some of us, we are labeled as "haters" and only allowed to comment unless we are in agreement?
Ok, got it.

:roll:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

teeder wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:I wish the haters would just keep their mouths shut. They ruin it for the rest of us!
So if something is not aesthetically pleasing to some of us, we are labeled as "haters" and only allowed to comment unless we are in agreement?
Ok, got it.

:roll:
Kevin, dude, you read way too much into that. I'm referring to the people who make unfair, unkind comments. I don't recall you ever doing so.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

cassius987 wrote:My wife has declared her support for the aesthetics.
Mine recently bought a quilting machine, so all bets are off now. :shock:

I'm admittedly not fond of the pickups' shape. I do, however, see the possibilities in making a "None More Black" or "PFB" (pretty freakin' black) out of one so as to mask the pups. Maybe a two layer black pickguard with a hint of white outline showing. THAT I could see liking.
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I'll be curious to see if there are any Warranty requirements as far as string sets. The B sounds kinda floppy on the NAMM demo, but maybe that's just the recording, aggressive picking, etc. The one thing I can't abide on any 5 string is a floppy, rattly B that's significantly different in tension. Hopefully people can assemble their preferred sets without warranty issues. Still not loving the look, but maybe it will grown on me, or they'll add a trim ring or something in production.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Gilmourisgod wrote:The B sounds kinda floppy on the NAMM demo
I never heard any of the demo players actually touch the B string... Do you have a link to that?

I did see a spec sheet that listed the string as .120'', so it will indeed be floppy.

I usually run a .130'' on my 4003/5. I tried .135'' as well. Yes, it was stiffer, but the tone was choked. It needs a certain amount of "rubber" for it to give full voice to the lowest notes.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:I never heard any of the demo players actually touch the B string... Do you have a link to that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OoH2cwYMU
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

It sounds floppy to me. Different strings could help. I really cant give an opinion here since I'm not a 5 string player. I'm sure there is some technique involved with playing a low B string to lessen flop.

Does that make sense?
"Knowledge is Power"
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Jeffrey Scott-thanks for the link. I was also having difficulty finding a video where the person actually played the B string.
I’ll never be a 5 or 6 string owner by choice, but I will say that this one sounds good. Wish the demo had included some finger style playing.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

When I played 5s & 6s I always used fairly light B strings, but my basses (custom Sei basses) sounded and felt fantastic.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

AndyM wrote:...Wish the demo had included some finger style playing.
My feelings, exactly.
henry5 wrote:When I played 5s & 6s I always used fairly light B strings, but my basses (custom Sei basses) sounded and felt fantastic.
I have a .125 on my fretted 5 string bass, and have gone as low as .110 on the old Zons.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

Gilmourisgod wrote:I'll be curious to see if there are any Warranty requirements as far as string sets. The B sounds kinda floppy on the NAMM demo, but maybe that's just the recording, aggressive picking, etc. The one thing I can't abide on any 5 string is a floppy, rattly B that's significantly different in tension. Hopefully people can assemble their preferred sets without warranty issues. Still not loving the look, but maybe it will grown on me, or they'll add a trim ring or something in production.
The floppy sound is at least partly from the fact that you hear the strings attacked by a pick directly. My guess is that if you only hear the amplified sound it will sound a lot better.

I'm convinced. I want one. Question now is how in Europe....
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
T28

Post by T28 »

Due out in summer.
I have a matte black with my name on it.
It will be my only 5 string.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I am torn about getting a 5 string.
It is hard for me to hear the notes below D.

Some recordings you can't really hear the note just sounds like an indescernable "booo". Not pleasant sounding anymore at that Hz for my taste. D is good though.

I tried to detune my ricky once down to b and c but anything lower than D the string gets too floppy to play. 175lbs. string tension set.

I guess with the right scale length and the rickys being so bright it could work.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”