New basses

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: New basses

Post by cassius987 »

Kiddwad57 wrote:
cassius987 wrote: If you listen to enough gospel music it's difficult to not get a bad case of GAS for a good B string.
I took a class on the history of Gospel years ago and the rhythm sections, bass players, are freaking killer...

If you ever have any inclination to post a thread with some of examples of some "killer" Gospel over in Musicianship it would be very much appreciated!
I'll keep that in mind!
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

“Everything Changed” by Andrae Crouch.
https://youtu.be/9zmyxaZVwvc

“Salvation is Here” Hillsong United Bass solo at 2:19 here: https://youtu.be/yFAjWEna7_0
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Where is that musicianship page? Couldnt find so posted above. Enjoy!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Hey! It's the fifth big block of forums down, RRF Music History, Interpretation, and Pop Culture Forums: Being for the Benefit of Musicianship. To me it's the "why" bunch of forums. The Andrae Crouch cut was fantastic, thanks!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Some folks have raised concerns about the trajectory of the strings over the headstock on the 4003s5. Was that an issue on the 4004/5? Is there a difference between the fanning out of the strings above the nut on the new fiver and the 4004/5s of yore? Both have a 3 + 2 tuner arrangement.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kiddwad57 wrote:Some folks have raised concerns about the trajectory of the strings over the headstock on the 4003s5. Was that an issue on the 4004/5? Is there a difference between the fanning out of the strings above the nut on the new fiver and the 4004/5s of yore? Both have a 3 + 2 tuner arrangement.
That should not be an issue. What is your concern about the string "trajectory"?
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Thanks Jeff. It's not that I have great concerns but that string angle didn't seem to be an issue for discussion with the 4004/5 models. The major focus in that case being the width of the pickups. Now string trajectory seems to be the topic of conversation among some people on another bass-oriented website for the 4003s5. It will be interesting to see how the slots are filed in the nut.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Lots of people talk about that regarding guitars, too. So long as the nut slot is cut properly the string won't hang up on it.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:Lots of people talk about that regarding guitars, too. So long as the nut slot is cut properly the string won't hang up on it.
+1. My 4003/5 has no such issue.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Thanks guys. This whole line of thought occurred from browsing the thread at that other site where people have been pointing out the angle of the strings over the headstock. Nobody seemed to notice it with the 4004/5, even though it's pretty much the same layout. When Joshua explained that it is not a problem with his 4003/5 it seemed like a good time to look up the classic 4-string 4003 and low and behold; fanned string trajectory between the nut and the tuners! OMG! Another tempest in a teapot.
Looks good to me!
Looks good to me!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Never had an issue with my 4004Cii/5. Of course, you won't hear much about them since there were only about a dozen made...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Were that many made? I played a couple of them at the 75th Anniversary bash.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

More and more it reminds of the bass version of the 480.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

My six day experience with a 4003s5:
Not to Be.png
It's a Rickenbacker bass that requires no modifications.

The neck is comfortable and sturdy. Even though the outer strings appear pretty close to the edges, there was never a time when they slipped over. The B string is very solid and although there is a bit of round wound rattling, it is controllable through playing technique.

Had I kept the bass, the rounds would have been changed out for flats. Probably LaBella LTFs. String spacing for the right hand was wide enough to feel comfortable if you are used to a standard four stringer, even though a bit closer. I think the LaBellas would be a better physical fit than TIs for this reason.

The bridge is forgettably straight ahead, no flopping, no tail lift, easily adjustable.

The pickups are powerful and clear. Total Rickenbacker sound all the way. Most of the time I played with the bridge pickup full out, dialing in the neck pickup to fill out the sound. Fantastic for either fingers or pick. Not having all the chrome work makes for an uncluttered and elegant visual and playing experience and explains why people like the 4004 models so much. Having the standard 4003 control layout is a big plus over the 4004 though, and is another reason this bass requires no mods. Any sort of combination of volume and tone choices.

My feeling is that the 4003s5 is the best Rickenbacker bass I've ever played overall. Maybe not as sexy as a vintage 4001, so perhaps it will never be as collectable as other models, but if you want to play, it will take you where ever you want to go.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Cool you got to play one! Did you buy and return it?

Wildwood still just had the MID models. I'm holding out for MG matte black or, maybe, WAL.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”