New basses

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jps
RRF Consultant

New basses

Post by jps »

I love the new 5 string basses. :D

Great to see Ben making these updates; looking forward to seeing one at my local dealer soon (I hope).
wilmingtonian

Re: New basses

Post by wilmingtonian »

wilmingtonian

Post by wilmingtonian »

Easy to lose in the look at the new 5er: Matte black finish to be available on 4003 and 330 models.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

I'm cheering that they have made a five-string!

I'm cheering that they have finally decided on a different tailpiece/bridge (looks like an ABM to me).

I'm cheering that they have finally gone away from the overly large "pit" to house the treble/bridge pickup (and the over-string cover).

But the ultra-modern, asymmetrical, slanty new pickup just looks goofy to me. Yeah, I'm old fashioned. Sue me. I wonder if these new pickups and tailpiece will eventually migrate to the four stringers (?).

Does anyone know what they are using for the model designation on this? It's not really a reintroduction of the 4003S/5, but will they call it that? Hmm. Avid journalist needs to know. Damn. Looks like I'll have to start on the third edition. :shock:
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Yeah, those were the instruments on the other side of that wall of 5 string basses.

The 5 string pickups are pretty radical looking, but every time I look at those photos I just says YES! :mrgreen: Overall, I think the basses would look better with no pickguard on them at all as I really like the shape of the bridge pickup a bit better without having the PG cover over the flange at the base of it. A 4005/teardrop pickguard would work really well on these basses so that both pickups have the same shape and look.

I have been using Schaller roller bridges since the late '70s and really like them very much, and am glad they are on my two 4004 Laredos.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think the pickup bring a way cool retro thing to these basses, and they should placate those who complain about a place for their thumbs to land on, too. It only took me until the second time looking at the new pickups to find they real fit in quite well, overall. A teardrop/4005 pickguard would be perfect and work aesthetically with the new pickup shapes.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

How about some pics:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
wilmingtonian

Post by wilmingtonian »

bassduke49 wrote: Does anyone know what they are using for the model designation on this? It's not really a reintroduction of the 4003S/5, but will they call it that?

According to the FB post, yes,: 4003S/5
wilmingtonian

Post by wilmingtonian »

bassduke49 wrote: I'm cheering that they have finally decided on a different tailpiece/bridge (looks like an ABM to me).
Schaller 3D-5 bridge, they say in post...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

5 string version of the ones currently on the 4004 basses.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

What's the story on these pups?
Is it a special kind of coil shape our setup?

I like it to see RIC is innovating again.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I really want to be on board with these, but I just cant do it. :shock:

I'm sure they're fine basses, but just not for me.
"Knowledge is Power"
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

I’ll miss the sparkle and flash of chrome pup surrounds, would have looked better with them. The “double hump” pickguard is an odd choice too, thought they put that little deviation to bed. Maybe it will grow on me, kind of “meh” aesthetically at first glance. I’m all for innovation, but I’m betting a lot of people will mod these with other 5 String pups.
jacolyte

Post by jacolyte »

just awful.
jacolyte
--
- 4003 x5, 4003S x3
- other stuff
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

I'm on the fence... I do kinda wish they'd put some lighter y-tuners on it, pull the guard, and call it a 4004. I don't want the classic 4001/4003 to 'go away' or be 'improved'. I like the carried forward idiosyncrasies and think they contribute to the sound and overall brand image of rickenbacker. I'm glad the company is stretching...but also scared for the future of the 4003.

So... any 4004's at Namm?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”