New basses

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: New basses

Post by lumgimfong »

Like on that ric video posted the low B has so many overtones it sounds like it could be one of three notes. Not enough fundamental to make out a lone, clear B note.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Last edited by jps on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:
cassius987 wrote:I never heard any of the demo players actually touch the B string... Do you have a link to that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OoH2cwYMU
I'm surprised folks are reacting negatively to this. The bass has a great sound and that may be the healthiest sounding Ric neck pickup ever. The recording quality is not great, but you can tell it's got a really strong presence. (Sometimes the 4003 neck pickup just seems to wimp out when you try to balance it against the bridge pickup, though this doesn't always happen.) The B string is buzzing a little, but it also seems like it's being picked pretty hard too. I wouldn't be surprised if that is a thinner gauge. But you want a bit of "flop" or it won't resonate properly, at least for fingerstyle.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

I've not been back here in nearly two years, but was lured by some news coming out of NAMM. It's great to hear people outside of the RIC circle talking about Rickenbacker again, and I was curious what the buzz is about. Now I know.

I am not a bass player myself (not a good one anyway) but from an aesthetic and functional standpoint I think these new basses look great. The pickups look interesting and not overtly gaudy with a solid technical explanation for why they look that way. Rickenbacker has always stood out and these pickups definitely draw attention. I think the Jetglo model in particular looks really good and I can't wait to see it with the finished pickguard and pickup covers.

I had a look at some of the videos out there and I think it sounds great but again, not a bass player.

RIC has their comfort zone, hell that might as well be the company motto. I think it takes some balls to really try pushing something new out there that respects where the brand came from but looks twords the future, and as a younger player I know for a fact that many people have longed for those classic Rickenbacker looks with modern features. Like a bridge that isn't such a pain, or a gigantic chrome plate on the body that 99% of players take the cover off of anyway. This looks like a real, genuine effort to create a bass for the current era. Just the fact that people are actually talking about it says a lot, and I think the 5-string layout, wider neck, and modern hardware matched with RIC's classic styling is a clear step in the right direction.

Kudos to Ben & Co.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Any updates on these basses? I'm excited to play one as soon as I get the chance.
T28

Post by T28 »

Suppose to be available this summer.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Grey wrote:
RIC has their comfort zone, hell that might as well be the company motto. I think it takes some balls to really try pushing something new out there that respects where the brand came from but looks twords the future, and as a younger player I know for a fact that many people have longed for those classic Rickenbacker looks with modern features. Like a bridge that isn't such a pain, or a gigantic chrome plate on the body that 99% of players take the cover off of anyway. This looks like a real, genuine effort to create a bass for the current era. Just the fact that people are actually talking about it says a lot, and I think the 5-string layout, wider neck, and modern hardware matched with RIC's classic styling is a clear step in the right direction.

Kudos to Ben & Co.

I agree completely with what you are saying. As a bass player, I'm not even into 5 string basses, my 4 stringers are fine for my purpose, and 99.99 % of the time I'm using either a RIC or some Fender bass(also 4 string), but I salute RIC and Ben and his team for taking a giant leap forward into developing a really fine 5 stringer. Ah, I can remember the days when 5s were just considered a way-out egg-speriment! Time only moves one direction!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I've been spending the past couple of days on my fretless 5 string bass working on new ideas.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I just ordered one in mapleglo, due next week.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

A couple are available at Wildwood. https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-cat ... electrics/

Relatively lightweight, 35'' scale, 1.8'' nut! Nice!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:A couple are available at Wildwood. https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-cat ... electrics/

From what I have seen, some of those specs from WW are inaccurate, such as the "35" scale length".
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

35” means I would not buy it. Too long. But the length would help with the B string.
Chrome pup covers would help them look better.
But I say lose the guard, add humbuckers, and make it a 4004/5
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:
cassius987 wrote:A couple are available at Wildwood. https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-cat ... electrics/

From what I have seen, some of those specs from WW are inaccurate, such as the "35" scale length".
Interesting. Here's what they say about it on the site:
So, what's different apart from the extra string? Having a low B string to bring an extra dose of thunder is nice, but this 4003S/5 has plenty of other enticing appointments, the most delightful of which is its longer scale length.

Most Rickenbacker basses have a 33-1/4" scale length, which is an inch shorter than a typical electric bass. So, most Ricky four-strings have a percussive attack (the classic Chris Squire clank) that blooms into a rich, midrange-forward sound.

The longer scale gives this bass more string tension, which leads to a rounder, more piano-like attack. You still get that classic Rickenbacker punch, but with a slightly thumpier attack. It's a different flavor than normal, and it is quite an inspiring sound!
I like how my B string sounds on my 4003/5 (a lot, now that it's a Hi-Beam), but that said, I am excited at the possibility of a 35'' Ric. More choices are always a good thing.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

4003s5 Specs
4003s5 Specs
Unfortunately it doesn't list the string gauges.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

cassius987 wrote: If you listen to enough gospel music it's difficult to not get a bad case of GAS for a good B string.
I took a class on the history of Gospel years ago and the rhythm sections, bass players, are freaking killer...

If you ever have any inclination to post a thread with some of examples of some "killer" Gospel over in Musicianship it would be very much appreciated!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”