4003 British Racing Green Advice Needed

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Zucchero

4003 British Racing Green Advice Needed

Post by Zucchero »

Hello guys,

Long time no...

I had lots of help from people here in the past (even buying a bass for me off eBay and sending it to the UK!)

I was wondering if you could chip in with some advice, as I have a dilemma!

Recently I purchased one of the 25 BRG basses.

It wasn’t in the dealer (GAK) so they waited for the UK distribution to send it, all in all it only took two weeks. So I was delighted when I’d seen it had been delivered. I’m now living in Italy.

The bass was double boxed and the excitement couldn’t be contained. I slowly opened the GAK box to uncover the Rickenbacker box. This I then opened, seeing the lovely silver hardcase was a delight.

Until I saw one of the clasps was opened. Upon inspection I saw it wasn’t just opened but broken. Oh well, I’m sure it could be fixed.

So I slowly opened the other two clasps. That new Ric smell filling my nostrils. Anticipating the lovely lustre of bass I slowly opened the case. Letting my little toddler son see.

He’s already walking around with his toy guitar and playing his Daddy’s at any opportunity.

I confess. I caressed the bass. I bought it mainly to play at home and to have as an indulgence in my lifetime and an investment for my son: either in his musical life or as an investment.

Eventually I picked the bass up and looked it over. The colour is wonderful. The pictures don’t do it justice! The shape of the neck feels different from any of the other Rics I’ve owned. And then I sat with it on my lap and went to tune it. My heart sank!

There next to the machine head was a fair sized chip. Seeing straight through to the wood.

I contacted the dealer straight away and they replied right back to their credit. They said they’d see if they could get another one. Alas that was a no go.

So. They’ve come back to me with two options.

1. They’ll offer me a discount and refund this to me and then (eventually) send a new case.
2. I can return the bass and get a full refund. They will arrange collection.

What do you think?

I’m slightly disappointed there’s not a third option. Rickenbacker fix it. I can’t imagine that the bass was damaged in transit. It’s in such a weird place. It can only not have been inspected properly!

Thanks in advance.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: 4003 British Racing Green Advice Needed

Post by aceonbass »

Take the partial refund and the new case. Get a pro to fix the chip with some of your refund money. I'm sure these have all been sold, so you'll not likely see another. Or, find a dealer who has one to sell for no more than what your bass cost, and return your damaged bass for a full refund so you can pay for it.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I'd return it and get the full refund. It's special, but it ain't THAT special, IMHO. If there is something specific about the green color that's perfect for you, then I understand. But if its rarity is its most attractive quality... there are lots of (non-green) other fish in the sea. And do NOT buy instruments as investments!!! Interest in guitars is only going to diminish in the coming years and decades. Vintage Ricks will likely hold their value while the costs of everything else in the world rise due to inflation. Heck, they might even diminish in value. If you want an investment for your kid, I would look to other monetary vehicles.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

It sounds like you purchased it solely to keep in dead-mint condition, so I would send it back and wait for another to come up for sale. I assume that a touch-up isn't an option since you want a perfect stock piece?

I'm certain that most of these were snapped up by collectors - you will absolutely be able to find another in mint condition.

You very well might end up paying more than you did for yours, though.
Zucchero

Post by Zucchero »

Thanks for the different perspectives. It’s given me plenty more to ponder.

As far as an investment. It’s a minor investment. Properties etc. will be a much better yield for him I’m sure. However, for it to actually go up in value will be nice.

As I’m no longer playing in a band or recording it would probably not be played much outside the house.

At this stage, being able to say it was 1/25 would have been the nicest thing for me.

Having grown up and worked for Jaguar there is a connection there. Also, as it was first used for racing in Ireland (and I’m Irish) this was also the biggest point that made me look twice, as opposed to some of the other rare colours.
collin

Post by collin »

So much for Luck of the Irish! Sorry to hear it arrived like that. :(

Personally, I'd hang on to it, ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of getting it touched-up with the correct color. A competent shop could repair that and make it invisible, and the retailer can pursue the shipping company to cover damages.

You may find one that's mint in the future, but why gamble that? It's a superb color, and these will always be prized, but historically special color runs haven't been the most lucrative "investment" in the past. It's probably worth holding onto it and actually enjoying the bass once that chip is repaired.
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

If their website is up to date, it looks like Sound Affects still have at least one brand new in stock. So if their price is right versus what you paid at GAK, you should get a refund and re-buy it from Sound Affects. I have bought new from Sound Affects in the past and the owner Tim is a great guy to deal with.

http://www.soundaffectspremier.com/guit ... f-25-p9557
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

jdogric12 wrote:I'd return it and get the full refund. It's special, but it ain't THAT special, IMHO. If there is something specific about the green color that's perfect for you, then I understand. But if its rarity is its most attractive quality... there are lots of (non-green) other fish in the sea.
For a lot of Brits (and I'm sure other fans), British Racing Green is kind of a big deal; although not Ric(or even guitar)-related, there's a lot of history attached. As the OP says, he used to work for Jaguar so there's a huge connection there. Also though, the bass is checkerbound. To me that's a heckuva combination. In fact I'm trying desperately not to go for the Sound Affects one myself. I was originally saving for a Custom Shop Les Paul which then sold, have since been saving for a custom bass, and more pointedly don't really need another Ric, especially a £3k new one (maybe a £3k vintage one :wink: ). But I have to say, the combination gets a huge thumbs up from me and is soooooo tempting. Anyone here remember the New Avengers (not the superhero Avengers) and Steed's BRG XJC? Loved that car. FWIW, BRG was an early contender for my ill-fated '68 restoration.

One thing I would say is if the partial refund you've been offered is big enough you should be able to get yours touched up (surely not that expensive if it's just a chip in the paint - try Sims Custom Shop) and make a profit. It depends on how convenient it is to you.

I will however agree that the limited runs don't tend to really be that great an investment. It may possibly hold its value but I'm not sure it's likely to increase. For me, that wouldn't be a factor.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

henry5 wrote:...For a lot of Brits (and I'm sure other fans), British Racing Green is kind of a big deal; although not Ric(or even guitar)-related, there's a lot of history attached. As the OP says, he used to work for Jaguar so there's a huge connection there. Also though, the bass is checkerbound. To me that's a heckuva combination...
Jaguar Wins Le Mans-.jpg
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

jps wrote:
henry5 wrote:
Jaguar Wins Le Mans-.jpg
I do not understand what all the fuzz is about. This Jaguar is black and white.
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

berth wrote: I do not understand what all the fuzz is about. This Jaguar is black and white.
I think it was most unusual for the Fuzz to make a fuss about the British Racing Green..... :D
Attachments
BRG Fuzz.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ha ha ha. That's not even a real Jaguar! :lol: What scale? 1:43? At least, mine was real and there was "checkerboard" in the photo, too. :mrgreen:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

jps wrote:Ha ha ha. That's not even a real Jaguar! :lol: What scale? 1:43? At least, mine was real and there was "checkerboard" in the photo, too. :mrgreen:
Yeah, but mine was in glorious technicolor! :twisted:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

If I was going to have any one object in BRG, this would take some beating....
Attachments
BRG.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wouldn't an Austin America do? :lol:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”