Neck moving help needed

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Neck moving help needed

Post by lumgimfong »

Over the last few months my year old 4003 neck keeps needing straightening to maintain straightness. Keeps getting some minor relief.
Stringset is within tension parameters.

Last adjustment I hit resistance and stopped. I know how to do truss rods, though this is my first excursion into Rics(I read the way to do it in manual).
Looks like the free movement of rods has maxed out.

What is the fix for this if it needs adjustment again and rods won’t move?

Destring, untighten rods and hang on a guitar hinger to “reset” neck?

Neck is straight. Plays great. Just concerned the rods won’t wanna move anymore if it needs another adjustment.
This is a D'Addario Chromes ECB84 (40-60-80-100) flatwounds set.

Maybe the movement is coming from the dryness and cold of winter and the neck will start moving back when spring cones?
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Neck moving help needed

Post by aceonbass »

Hmmmm......RIC doesn't give any tension parameters, but I'd guess about 160lbs to be pretty close. As I remember, Chromes were a bit hi tension-wise. I find that when a truss rod won't take any more tightening without fear of breaking, that it's best to remove it, straighten it, then reinsert it. This seems to be because the rods will rotate over time from their original orientation since they're not really not fixed at the body end.
M2016G

Post by M2016G »

I have the same issue a couple times a year. I'm in Ontario, Canada. Winters can be dry with wide temp and humidity fluctuations throughout the year. I have a humidifier for the winter months, and try to keep humidity around 35-40%. All my basses need a small truss tweak at least twice a year (going into summer and winter). This can be managed easily without too much concern. I find my 2016 4003s is a little more sensitive to this than my Fenders. Either way, my guess is winter and low humidity. Best to just keep an eye on it during these seasons and gentle tweaks when required.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

Thanks.

If it moves again I will put a humidifier in the room and see if that helps.

These strings are 174lbs. total set. So should be fine.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”