Humbucker Pot Value Question

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

teptwizz02

Humbucker Pot Value Question

Post by teptwizz02 »

I'm installing humbuckers in my 4001 and I was wondering what some folks here might recommend for volume pot values. I already have 500k tone pots and .022 caps... should the volume pots be 500k as well? I know there's a good deal of info on this forum regarding values and wiring for HB1 humbuckers in 4001/4003 basses, but the humbuckers I'm going with are spec'd at a significantly lower output (7.0k neck and 7.5k bridge - Alnico V magnets). Some might say that it really doesn't matter, or they might ask me what sound I'm looking for... valid responses. I basically just want to gather some info as to whether or not humbuckers, regardless of winding/resistance, produce a generally darker sound and therefore should be matched with higher pot values all around to "brighten them up." Thanks for whatever input y'all can provide.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Humbucker Pot Value Question

Post by iiipopes »

teptwizz02 wrote:I'm installing humbuckers in my 4001 and I was wondering what some folks here might recommend for volume pot values. I already have 500k tone pots and .022 caps... should the volume pots be 500k as well? I know there's a good deal of info on this forum regarding values and wiring for HB1 humbuckers in 4001/4003 basses, but the humbuckers I'm going with are spec'd at a significantly lower output (7.0k neck and 7.5k bridge - Alnico V magnets). Some might say that it really doesn't matter, or they might ask me what sound I'm looking for... valid responses. I basically just want to gather some info as to whether or not humbuckers, regardless of winding/resistance, produce a generally darker sound and therefore should be matched with higher pot values all around to "brighten them up." Thanks for whatever input y'all can provide.
Yes. Use the higher value volume pots for a little bit higher resonance peak in the pickups. To counter the slightly added brightness, I use .033 tone caps - mid way between the guitar .022 and the typical bass .047. This lets me cut treble but retain good upper mid grind when I want it. The RIC humbuckers do sound darker, but I don't know about the pickups you are considering. Please PM me with more details.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”