So, no more 4004?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: So, no more 4004?

Post by cassius987 »

I think the HB-1s being wired in series stock really hides a lot of the great tone that could be possible, particularly in the neck position. These are very nice pickups but series wiring really over-emphasizes the midrange in my opinion. But I would also like to see the pickups move closer to the bridge in a re-launched model, maybe even in 4002 spacing like the custom 4004 I used to own or the one that Dane modified for Woody.

4004s also varied in quality and character a lot more than 4003s and 4003Ss, in my experience. This probably made it harder for them to develop a consistent reputation. Even within the same build year, two basses could be drastically different in the way they played, the neck profile, and the sound.

The latest Rics I have played (all 4003Ss in the past three years, for what it's worth) are the best playing/feeling/sounding examples of Ric basses I have ever played -- so I imagine a relaunched 4004 would showcase the best the model has to offer, when that day comes.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I think the 4004 is a very nice model that was very limited in its tonal potential. If they bring it back, I hope RIC takes a hard look at the various "mods" that people have done over the years and incorporate them in a "new, more versatile" model.

I dont know about the rest of you folks, but I like knobs and switches.
"Knowledge is Power"
ram

Post by ram »

I love my 4004s. Both are '93s. the 4004L8 (converted to 8string) is a tonal monster! Stock electronics. The 4004C had a unique sound but I wanted something a little different. Dane made me a hot Blend/Volume/Tone harness and the V/T knobs were push pull to tap the pickup cores. I can get just about anything I want from it tonally. Neck wise my '74 4001 is IT as far as I'm concerned. The 4004L is very close to that (the fret board is slightly wider). The 4004C neck is a tad thicker.... illustrating what was said before about differences in product (these are the same year April and June). Personally, I think these basses are one of the best kept secrets in all of Ric-dom. I do agree with some of the new features being added to future versions.... but I wouldn't mess with it too much.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

cheyenne wrote:I think the 4004 is a very nice model that was very limited in its tonal potential. If they bring it back, I hope RIC takes a hard look at the various "mods" that people have done over the years and incorporate them in a "new, more versatile" model.

To me, VVT wiring on these would make the most sense.
ram

Post by ram »

[/quote]
To me, VVT wiring on these would make the most sense.[/quote]

I thought that too for a while but figured that the blend would be a quicker way to mesh the pickups for the sound I wanted... essentially one knob vs. two knobs. Regardless the core tap on the pickups is the most fun!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

cassius987 wrote:
cheyenne wrote:I think the 4004 is a very nice model that was very limited in its tonal potential. If they bring it back, I hope RIC takes a hard look at the various "mods" that people have done over the years and incorporate them in a "new, more versatile" model.

To me, VVT wiring on these would make the most sense.
Nah, VVS.

Having a pickup switch is, IMO, one of the advantages a Rickenbacker has over a lot of other basses with two pickups.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Korladis wrote: Nah, VVS.

Having a pickup switch is, IMO, one of the advantages a Rickenbacker has over a lot of other basses with two pickups.
That's what I have on one of my basses. Given I don't use/need a tone control on that one this is perfect, for me.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

jps wrote:
Korladis wrote: Nah, VVS.

That's what I have on one of my basses. Given I don't use/need a tone control on that one this is perfect, for me.
If it weren't for the push/pull toggle on the bridge tone control, I'd bypass the tone controls on my Rickenbackers. I never actually turn them.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I see you are new, here, Daniel, yet quite familiar, too. :wink:

Welcome! :D
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

I don't care for the sound of my 4004Cii in isolation. I don't play in bands, but I really like the bass when it's blended with recorded music, and it's unique, so I wouldn't want to change mine much. But I could certainly go for a pan or VVT layout.

For tonal potential, I've never heard anyone slapping on a 4004, and slap tone is certainly a big selling point for a lot of basses. Me? I would slap a tuba before I would slap a 4004.

bluewhale
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Korladis wrote:Nah, VVS.

I'd probably die without a passive tone control.
bluewhale wrote:For tonal potential, I've never heard anyone slapping on a 4004, and slap tone is certainly a big selling point for a lot of basses. Me? I would slap a tuba before I would slap a 4004.
I've heard it (and done it). Basically what you'd expect - a darker version of a 4003 played slap style.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

bluewhale wrote:

I don't care for the sound of my 4004Cii in isolation. I don't play in bands, but I really like the bass when it's blended with recorded music, and it's unique, so I wouldn't want to change mine much. But I could certainly go for a pan or VVT layout.

For tonal potential, I've never heard anyone slapping on a 4004, and slap tone is certainly a big selling point for a lot of basses. Me? I would slap a tuba before I would slap a 4004.

bluewhale
I never really have a use for slap bass. Just doesn't fit with the music I play. Nor is it a play style I really enjoy doing.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

cassius987 wrote:
Korladis wrote:Nah, VVS.

I'd probably die without a passive tone control.
bluewhale wrote:For tonal potential, I've never heard anyone slapping on a 4004, and slap tone is certainly a big selling point for a lot of basses. Me? I would slap a tuba before I would slap a 4004.
I've heard it (and done it). Basically what you'd expect - a darker version of a 4003 played slap style.
I pretty much never use tone controls. If I want less highs, I switch to the neck pickup or turn the highs down on the amp.

Maybe they're more useful if you play through a cab with tweeters?
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I'm surprised that 4004 models are not more used for slapping styles, especially since it has humbuckers, and the decks are so much clearer for slapping than your average 4003, 4001v63 or c64... :D :D :D :D
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

squirebass wrote:I'm surprised that 4004 models are not more used for slapping styles, especially since it has humbuckers, and the decks are so much clearer for slapping than your average 4003, 4001v63 or c64... :D :D :D :D
Pickup placement is not ideal IMO. I think a lot of slap players would agree that the Jazz Bass pickup positions are far better suited for achieving that sound.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”