Bubbling Finish Issues?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Re: Bubbling Finish Issues?

Post by coolhandjjl »

All we know for certain is that the defect has similar characteristics and has been occurring in the same physical places on the instrument since 2010.

And in some cases, basses returned for a warranty refin and sent back to the customer as “fixed” develops the same defect in the same place again, but by that time, the original warranty is expired and the customer is SOL.

We also know that it can take time for the defect to appear, sometimes it takes four or more months to develop, so even if it looks good when the dealer sells it, no one’s out of the woods.

Until a solution is found, the least RIC could do is extend the finish warranty for the bubbling issue to a longer time frame, perhaps even start it at time of purchase, and renew that warranty for basses sent in for a factory refinish. That’s the least they could do.

Anyone taking issue with a proposal like that best be careful as karma is always waiting. (Just like the bubbling issue 8) )
Last edited by coolhandjjl on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
teeder

Post by teeder »

Can someone please post pictures of this bubbling?

If I'm hearing this correctly, the bubbling is taking place in the same areas? Even after re-finishing?
One man's fatal flaw is another man's mojo.
This is true, but people aren't buying a marketed "Roadworn" series instrument.

RIC turned me off for 20 years after I bought a new 4003S in the '80's that developed bad worming on the back (I was completely babying it). The finish eventually peeled after a couple months. Long story, short. There was a spot of hardened glue inside the case that it was rubbing up-against. Customer service basically to me to blow it out my arse.

I'll likely never buy another new one.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Do we know if this is occurring on other models?
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

All the TalkBass members have posted info on are 4003 models. And yes, some purchasers have the bubbling appear in the same place again, even after a warranty refin. (I'm not aware of what goes on in the guitar world.)

Back in 2011, RIC had a small run of 4001 C64 basses in TV Yellow, White, and Seafoam Green. One of the guys who bought a Seafoam one had the issue, and it reappeared even after a refin, but for the most part, it’s 4003 models.

Regarding the fellow with the Seafoam C64 refin, since it was a special color run, RIC wouldn't even do the refin in the same color he bought it as. He had to settle for a different green that obviously looked like a different green. So anyone considering the purchase of a special run like BRG, or the CME Walnutburst model, if the finish fails, you may not get that color with a warranty refin.

I’m not sure if forum rules allow linking to another forum members post with pics. Not sure if it’s even okay to ‘appropriate’ one of those members pics from TalkBass and post it here.

Later today, I’ll try to look up the the exact thread title and post numbers from Talk Bass where some pics are and post that text info here. I’m hoping that should be okay with this forum moderator.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

For reference, here's what the "bubbling" looks like, it's pretty obviously clearcoat separating from the colorcoat below. Sometimes its a smaller section than this, sometime multiple "bubbles" along the same edges, and much bigger. In most cases reported, once it starts, it gets progressively worse until it's refinished. This is the actual image from the TB guy who returned the bass (on his own dime) to Ric factory, where they did a complete refin, sent it back to him, now it's bubbling again. Ric's position is that the warranty has now expired, so he's stuck with it regardless of defective original finish and repair.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Not good.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Maybe it's my monitor... I'm not seeing it. Can someone point out the bubbles?
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

It's that kinda lozenge-shaped gray area midway on the edge. The upper portion is a reflection of the lifted bubble.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

If it's developing in the same general area on all of the affected instruments, could it be a result of pressure from the tailpiece at that point? It seems to me that it's also the same general area that the tailpieces develop the "lift"; could the bending of the metal there result in a pressure point that makes the finish lift away from the underlying wood?
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

bigbajo60 wrote:If it's developing in the same general area on all of the affected instruments, could it be a result of pressure from the tailpiece at that point? It seems to me that it's also the same general area that the tailpieces develop the "lift"; could the bending of the metal there result in a pressure point that makes the finish lift away from the underlying wood?
Thanks for chiming in, but please read all the posts from the beginning. It will help your understanding all of what's been going on and what has been hypothesized. Yes, we believe the finish failure is due to pressure as it also manifests itself on tuning peg ferrules and tuner machine head mounting plate. However, a TalkBass forum member recently reported it on the edge of the bridge pup surround which has barely any pressure on the wood body at all. So it's a hypothesis only.

I just went and did what I'm calling a fair use of an image as it's purpose here is for criticism, news reporting, teaching, and/or research. These are from December 2017 post. I did some retouching to eliminate the reflections in the JetGlo surface, and cropped in as well. That makes the defect easier to see for those not familiar with it. The bubbling defect expands larger over time as well.

The thing to understand is the TalkBass forum members have been seeing pics like these and worse since 2010, and we're getting kind of numb to it. These pics show a mild form of the bubbling, but I'm not going all the back to 2010 to look for more examples. I've too much life to enjoy :lol:

Click to enlarge
Attachments
IMG_4468_b.jpg
IMG_4421_b.jpg
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Oh gosh, I thought that was light. That's awful!
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Post by lumgimfong »

I have to check my 2016 FG
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

A guy on TB has set up a survey if anybody is interested in it:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WL72PSM
coolhandjjl
Intermediate Member

Post by coolhandjjl »

There is a deep oval route under the tailpiece, directly under the bridge itself. That's where the most obvious finish failure is. Sometimes that route is a hair too deep, and people have done the penny trick to maintain intimate contact with the bridge well and the body. People have also done the penny trick so the tailpiece doesn't jack-knife into that too-deep route when screwed in with too much zest and vigor.

Also in cases where that route is too deep, and the three screws that go into the bridge well are put in with too much zest and vigor, I can certainly visualize the tailpiece crushing the clear coat.

On both my 4003s, I epoxy bedded that route so the bridge well makes intimate contact with a firm solid surface, and the tailpiece itself doesn't have the opportunity to be driven in deeper than it is supposed to.
'09 4003 | '93 4003s
John Luke aka Coolhand

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”