Who gigs with a combo amp?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Who gigs with a combo amp?

Post by cassius987 »

As some inferred from one of my Second Strum posts, I am downsizing my rig -- specifically, I want an efficient combo amp, as I now use my amp as monitor in >90% of cases and don't see the point of lugging even my lightweight, ultra-loud head+cab anymore.

I'm considering the Fender Rumble 200, 500 and the Tech 21 VT Bass 200 but would love to hear about anyone's positive or negative experiences with combo amps. I have not owned one since my used BA-115, which I did not fully appreciate at the time.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Who gigs with a combo amp?

Post by jps »

The only combo amp that I have had for about 10 years now is my Markbass Minimark. Works wonderfully as a personal monitor; I sometimes use a waiter's stand or a milk crate to set the amp pointed at my head or at higher elevation depending on the situation at hand. Very compact and lightweight, more than loud enough given how I use it. Great sounding balanced line out, extension speaker out, speaker off switch for the internal/external speakers when desired, simple but effective tone controls.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

I've been gigging regularly for the past 8 or 9 years (I think) with a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout combo and matching extension cab. Gives me enough stage "oomph" to play small to medium indoor gigs without PA support. And when there is a PA to plug into, the DI puts out a very nice, organic signal; warmest sounding solid state amp I've ever played through. I've gotten a lot of compliments on this rig. It's discontinued, but you can still find used examples all over the interwebz.
Attachments
Rick & Walkabout rig @ Whiskey Still flash foto edited.jpg
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

I use a Fender Rumble 200, 15” speaker. It’s about 175 Watts, only 200 Watts with an extension cab. Plenty loud and you can use Line Out or mic if desired.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I currently have an Ampeg PF500 + (2) 115 cabs that I'm about to ditch for a Fender Rumble 500 head & cab like a friend of mine has - super lightweight and gets the job done from what I can tell.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Thanks for everyone's responses. I had the "unfortunate" problem of loving how my Aggie amp + Barefaced cab sounded this weekend at an outdoor gig, reminding me why some headroom is nice on the fly. Now I'm not sure what to do. Though, I was still only using around 40% of the amp's output, and super low gain, to keep up with the guys running through a small PA.
jdogric12 wrote:I currently have an Ampeg PF500 + (2) 115 cabs that I'm about to ditch for a Fender Rumble 500 head & cab like a friend of mine has - super lightweight and gets the job done from what I can tell.
Cool! Let me know how you like the Fender 500 when you get a hold of it.
AndyM wrote:I use a Fender Rumble 200, 15” speaker. It’s about 175 Watts, only 200 Watts with an extension cab. Plenty loud and you can use Line Out or mic if desired.
What kind of bass are you running through the 200?
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Double post trying to add the quote afterwards
Last edited by AndyM on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

AndyM wrote:What kind of bass are you running through the 200?

I have 7 basses and Rumble is my only model... 40 Watt combo at home and 200 Watt combo for gigs.
The basses: Ric 4003, Hofner 500/1, USA P Bass, Epi Les Paul, PRS Kingfisher, Fender Sting (Precision) and a Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Bass.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Still hanging with the GK MB150s I purchased new in the early '90s and handles 95% of my amplification needs. In fact, I just had to replace the handle and gig bag. The new bag has a more comfortable carrying strap, bigger storage pouch and a hole in the top to reach the handle and it's...handy.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Kiddwad57 wrote:Still hanging with the GK MB150s I purchased new in the early '90s and handles 95% of my amplification needs. In fact, I just had to replace the handle and gig bag. The new bag has a more comfortable carrying strap, bigger storage pouch and a hole in the top to reach the handle and it's...handy.

Internets sez these are 26 lbs, is that right? Pretty lightweight if so!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Another one!.png
Sounds about right, especially in the bag with all the cords, etc. It's around ninety watts, which is fine for the gigs it's being used for. You can add an extension for 150 watts. It has all of the ins and outs and hasn't given me an ounce of trouble. But for sure, when you're done with a gig it still feels like a ton of bricks! It may be a bit dated now and every once in a while I get the urge to replace it, but why?

The one pictured isn't mine, but I did put stage tape across the logo on mine too. The amp's there for me, not the other way around!
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I had the original version of this amp, a 200MB, that I bought in the late '80s. I kept it in an aircase for a Speedotron blackline power pack, and was sturdy enough to use as a stand for the amp, too. There was enough room to store cables in the top of the aircase, all making for a very compact solution to storage/transport/setup.
T28

Post by T28 »

Phil Jones compact suitcase, small package at #40+ and can handle a low B with ease. I believe it is 350 watts and adding the Optional C4 cab bumps it up to 550.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

I don't even use an amp on stage anymore. I use a personal monitor that I can control my mix to hear everyone through my cell phone wifi to the digital board. The sound man makes everything sound good out front; all I need is to hear the articulation to know that I am in the groove with the drummer supporting the rest of the band.
B207MP3-large.jpg
rickenbastard

Post by rickenbastard »

AndyM wrote:I use a Fender Rumble 200, 15” speaker. It’s about 175 Watts, only 200 Watts with an extension cab. Plenty loud and you can use Line Out or mic if desired.
I use a Rumble 200 every time I'm at Sam Ash trying pedals or basses and it comes close to getting my normal tube tone I crave. I forced a buddy to get one when he was shopping amps and he sounded great on stage when I saw them. I've tried it with Rics and he used an active Schecter and it still sounded killer.
September 1978 4001 JG (Jeff Goldblum)
May 2014 4003W (Walter Sobchak)
December 1995 4003 MG (Bass of Spades)

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”