RI horseshoe vs. Classic Amplification bridge pickup

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

fazeka

RI horseshoe vs. Classic Amplification bridge pickup

Post by fazeka »

Hi all,

I have a 2015 4003S I want to replace the bridge pickup on. I already swapped out the HG in the neck for a toaster.

I am torn between replacing the bridge p-up with either a RI horseshoe or the Classic Amplification Flat Top.

Would someone be able to describe in general terms of sound why someone would go with one vs. the other?

Also, is there a difference in sound between Classic Amplification's button top vs. flat top bridge pickups? Or is it merely an aesthetic-only difference?

Cheers,
Chris
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: RI horseshoe vs. Classic Amplification bridge pickup

Post by jps »

A third option is putting a toaster in the bridge location, as I did on my old 4003FL.
Lucite-Pickguard-b&w-02a.jpg
songdog

Post by songdog »

Oh, man, I think I just fell in love with that fretless! I really like the sound of the original toaster in my 4001, and I've read that the new RIC scatterwound toasters are very similar.

I have a RIHS, it seems to me to be a bit hotter than the toaster. I've toyed with the idea of unwinding it a little, but I usually use it with the vintage cap in the circuit, which tames it some. I think the RIHS is designed to pair better with newer hi-gain pickups as in the 4003.
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
fazeka

Post by fazeka »

Thanks but no toaster in the bridge position for me. It's either a RI horsie or the CA. Any thoughts on either of these?
jps wrote:A third option is putting a toaster in the bridge location, as I did on my old 4003FL.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

fazeka wrote:Thanks but no toaster in the bridge position for me. It's either a RI horsie or the CA. Any thoughts on either of these?
jps wrote:A third option is putting a toaster in the bridge location, as I did on my old 4003FL.
Then, it's the RI HS PU for you.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Classic Amplification makes excellent reproductions of 70's RIC hi gains, and the lead wire attachment is so much sturdier. They will build them to original 70's specs as well (8k Ohms) on an aluminum baseplate. Current RIHS pickups are wound to 12k, and in my opinion, to harsh sounding. I actually prefer the tone of the stock bridge hi gains, which are also wound to 12k.
fazeka

Post by fazeka »

Cool. Thanks.

What about the difference in sound between Classic Amplification's button top vs. flat top?
aceonbass wrote:Classic Amplification makes excellent reproductions of 70's RIC hi gains, and the lead wire attachment is so much sturdier. They will build them to original 70's specs as well (8k Ohms) on an aluminum baseplate. Current RIHS pickups are wound to 12k, and in my opinion, to harsh sounding. I actually prefer the tone of the stock bridge hi gains, which are also wound to 12k.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I would imagine these two versions probably sound the same. I think the reason they offer a button top is so that it looks more "correct", but the flat poles are a bit less likely to interfere with the strings when you play hard.
fazeka

Post by fazeka »

Thanks, you're Ace! :lol:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Is Classic Amplification taking orders? I've been wanting to order a bridge flat top for my 4003s, but the order page isnt working yet.

Maybe I've got an old link?
"Knowledge is Power"
fazeka

Post by fazeka »

Don't know, I assumed it was up and running being that it's been some time since he's supposedly moved (late last year when I was wanting to order one and had to wait)?
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

Here is their "Menu" page.
I was able to access the Rick pickups page, where they have different "buttons" for USA orders and "International" orders.
Hope this helps!

http://classicamplification.net/NavMenu.html
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

cheyenne wrote:Is Classic Amplification taking orders? I've been wanting to order a bridge flat top for my 4003s, but the order page isnt working yet.

Maybe I've got an old link?
They do. I just got my pickups in on Saturday.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”