Defretting a Rickenbacker bass?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Defretting a Rickenbacker bass?

Post by jdogric12 »

First of all I should clarify, unlike that other thread going on right now, Jeff and I are friends and just messing with each other.

Second - to answer the question, I don't play upright or fretless enough to be good at finding the right spot immediately, so having the side dots where the fret would be is my crutch. For experienced fretless dudes like you guys, Jeff's approach is best.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

jdogric12 wrote:First of all I should clarify, unlike that other thread going on right now, Jeff and I are friends and just messing with each other.

Second - to answer the question, I don't play upright or fretless enough to be good at finding the right spot immediately, so having the side dots where the fret would be is my crutch. For experienced fretless dudes like you guys, Jeff's approach is best.
Cool on both counts. :) FWIW I wasn't doubting any friendships.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

One reason the neck feels so good with it being both stable yet adjustable has to do with the relative density of the fingerboard and neck wood, and the orientation of the grain to work together. There is no assurance that a new fingerboard will have the same density and grain orientation, which will change the mojo of the bass. If you do want to de-fret it, have it done by someone who knows how to unseat frets without chipping the fret board. But no matter how well it is done, the fretboard will have to be sanded slightly to make sure crown radius is even, and frankly, to collect the sawdust to fill in the inevitable chip or two (or three or....). Usually a contrasting color wood is used to give the appearance of frets so when finished the bass will pass the "five-foot" test (you don't notice it from five feet away).

I would look for another fretless bass, paying attention to see if its characteristics approach your fretted bass. And you need a fretted bass, just because, depending on the gig.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”