Joey's Bass Notes???

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

Re: Joey's Bass Notes???

Post by cassius987 »

jps wrote:
cjj wrote:Joey said he was shutting it down...
I don't blame him for doing so. He got tired of having to deal with a bunch of c*r*a*p from people.
Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Sorry for any inconvenience shutting down Joey's Bass Notes may have been.
The reasons:

The site was looking cheesy and outdated. I made that website when I barely knew how to make one. Now that I know better, I just haven't had the time. I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.

I have had lots of stealing of content without permission, so much so, that I even had Wayback remove JBN content, in case it could be taken from there and I'd have no way of finding it. I was always pretty good about sharing content, as long as I was asked, and knew where it was going.

I was suddenly having so many problems trying to access the host with the FTP program...and they weren't being much help, so I told them that's enough. I still own the domains registered to me: joeysbassnotes.com and .net, the same with rickenbrother.

Content as it was, may resurface...somewhere soon. We'll see.

I appreciate the support and appreciation I had gotten from many people around the world, for the past 14 years that JBN was active.

Besides possibly getting JBN somewhere else, I've been thinking about doing a couple out other things that may help bassists, and maybe other musicians as well, time permitting.

Cheers to all.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

I just want to say that I referred to that content from time to time over the past few years and will miss it.

Bring it back when you can, brother.

-Greg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

rickenbrother wrote: I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.
IMHO, there is absolutely NOTHING WRONG with that! More power to ya, Joey! And thanks for all your many valuable contributions!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:...I have had lots of stealing of content without permission...
I have also had issues with similar stuff regarding my photography over the years (not here, other sites). So, I fully get it.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I just heard back from Peter M. We may figure out a way to incorporate JBN content here on the RRF, as little, or as much of it as he wants.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That's a good start. Now we need to figure out how to maintain copyright protection for your IP, either through electronics means of protection or maybe permissions being granted to use material but with the correct bylines/copyright notices, etc.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

cassius987 wrote:
jps wrote:
cjj wrote:Joey said he was shutting it down...
I don't blame him for doing so. He got tired of having to deal with a bunch of c*r*a*p from people.
Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."
You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

Who on earth would give Joey a hard time for providing a free, comprehensive resource about Rickenbacker basses? Reminds me of the phrase, "No good deed goes unpunished."[/quote]

You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.[/quote]

If there was a like button here I’d certainly hit it, a few times...!
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I cant imagine the time and commitment it must take to keep something like this up to date.

I'd just like to take the time to thank Joey for all he's done to educate folks in the care and maintenance of their Rickenbacker instruments. I've been a member here since 2001, and I've referenced his wisdom on many occasions.

Thanks for your time and effort Joey.
"Knowledge is Power"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Joey - you might want to consider releasing it privately to a loyal base of paid subscribers, on something like Patreon. That would compensate you for your efforts, and weed out the thieving copycats. You could still release teasers and trailers on YouTube for free viewing to the public, explaining what's in the paid content, to attract subscribers, but none of that free content would be anything useful for people to steal.
clasbas

Post by clasbas »

jdogric12 wrote:Joey - you might want to consider releasing it privately to a loyal base of paid subscribers, on something like Patreon.
I, for one, would be willing to pay for this kind of high quality content.
-------------
Bands: 2
Bass: -64 and -67
Amp: Sunn 300T and Model T prototype
-------------
8mileshigher

Joey's Bass Notes???

Post by 8mileshigher »

paologregorio wrote: You would be surprised. Joey's one of the nicest, best people in the world. I've known him, thanks to this forum, for eleven years. He doesn't complain about it, but people have given him so much grief on that site, on the FB bass site, and elsewhere, it would drive other folks postal. I don't understand how some can be so negative and vicious. Good to see it will find a new home here among a friendly group.
I would like to express a big "LIKE" for what Paulie and other JBN supporters have said !! :wink:
ram

Post by ram »

Joey's stuff is cool and fun to read and watch... easy to understand and just plain ole well done. Not to mention he is a great guy and a pretty good bass player... ok he's a really good bass player still a nice guy!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
callofcthulhu

Post by callofcthulhu »

rickenbrother wrote:Sorry for any inconvenience shutting down Joey's Bass Notes may have been.
The reasons:

The site was looking cheesy and outdated. I made that website when I barely knew how to make one. Now that I know better, I just haven't had the time. I've been spending more time over the past few years playing more music (performing) than talking about it.

I have had lots of stealing of content without permission, so much so, that I even had Wayback remove JBN content, in case it could be taken from there and I'd have no way of finding it. I was always pretty good about sharing content, as long as I was asked, and knew where it was going.

I was suddenly having so many problems trying to access the host with the FTP program...and they weren't being much help, so I told them that's enough. I still own the domains registered to me: joeysbassnotes.com and .net, the same with rickenbrother.

Content as it was, may resurface...somewhere soon. We'll see.

I appreciate the support and appreciation I had gotten from many people around the world, for the past 14 years that JBN was active.

Besides possibly getting JBN somewhere else, I've been thinking about doing a couple out other things that may help bassists, and maybe other musicians as well, time permitting.

Cheers to all.
Not trying to bite the hand that feeds here, but I just don't understand what you could have encountered that you would consider "stealing"?

Or, more to the point, what exactly was your intention in making all of your work publicly accessible if you didn't want it to be used, reused, and built upon by the public?

Given that there is no "authorized" source for much of the esoteric specifics of Rickenbacker technical details, hobbyists and professionals alike interested in working on them are at the mercy of those who have the knowledge being willing to share it. Sure, all of the information you collected is out there, somewhere, at the bottom of an infinite well of inaccurate and irrelevant information. But you've already gone through the trouble of finding it, verifying it, organizing it, and supplementing it with hard proof. It was an invaluable resource for anyone looking for that information, and the world is a dimmer place without it.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”