1st encounter with a 4004

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

1st encounter with a 4004

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Midnight blue, fine player. As simple as it seems I couldn't figure out the little switch by the volume and tone. I have always assumed it was your standard pickup selector: up, neck, middle, both, down, bridge. In this case there was little difference in the up and middle postions, in the down position there was sound but very little in comparison. The guy at the counter said it was a "kill" switch. Any thoughts?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 1st encounter with a 4004

Post by jps »

You are correct that the switch is a standard pickup selector. One coil must be bad in the bridge pickup. There can be no other explanation, really. Your description of the symptoms is right on.

The guy at the counter (GC, presumably) doesn't have a clue.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Thanks Jeff, for clarifying. It isn't at a GC.
ram

Post by ram »

First off, congratulations on the bass! Jeff's diagnosis seems good... also might have been some one "improving" the bass. If you are good at schematics and actual wiring give it a look see. Making sure ALL of the wiring is correct. The switch comes from Ric as a pickup selector... up = neck pickup, down = bridge pickup and middle = both pickups. Some one may have set the switch to another purpose... tapping coils on the pickups, kill switch ..>???? There are a bunch of folks here who are very adept with this sort of stuff. Ask question and post pictures if you decide to go under the hood. good luck with it. Keep us posted as to what happens.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Sorry for misunderstanding! It's a brand new bass hanging at an authorized dealership.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

So,other than it needing some wiring attention,what did you think of it?

The 4004 models are my favorite Rick basses, ever. Guess that’s why i have 5 of them...... :mrgreen:
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

It's really nice! Really glad I got to audition one finally.It's easy to see why you'd like them so much.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Kiddwad57 wrote: As simple as it seems I couldn't figure out the little switch by the volume and tone. I have always assumed it was your standard pickup selector: up, neck, middle, both, down, bridge. In this case there was little difference in the up and middle postions, in the down position there was sound but very little in comparison. The guy at the counter said it was a "kill" switch. Any thoughts?
About 10% of the 4004's I've worked on have a problem with these C&K switches. Usually it's one of the internal detents, resulting in the switch not clicking into position, or the switch bat just hanging down in the bridge position. These switches are sealed and non serviceable. I prefer the short Switchcraft pickup switch, but this requires opening up the switch hole to 1/2".
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

aceonbass wrote:
Kiddwad57 wrote: As simple as it seems I couldn't figure out the little switch by the volume and tone. I have always assumed it was your standard pickup selector: up, neck, middle, both, down, bridge. In this case there was little difference in the up and middle postions, in the down position there was sound but very little in comparison. The guy at the counter said it was a "kill" switch. Any thoughts?
About 10% of the 4004's I've worked on have a problem with these C&K switches. Usually it's one of the internal detents, resulting in the switch not clicking into position, or the switch bat just hanging down in the bridge position. These switches are sealed and non serviceable. I prefer the short Switchcraft pickup switch, but this requires opening up the switch hole to 1/2".
One of the coils went bad on a HB-1 I had a few years ago, producing the exact symptoms described. I would check the DCR of the pickup first, a simple thing to do.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I'll let the guys at the store figure it out. I love the burpy yet Ricky sound of the HB1s. At any rate, the streamlined 4004's functionality sure whets my appetite for one of the new five strings! I can't see buying another four stringer.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

jps wrote:You are correct that the switch is a standard pickup selector. One coil must be bad in the bridge pickup. There can be no other explanation, really. Your description of the symptoms is right on.

The guy at the counter (GC, presumably) doesn't have a clue.
That exact thing was an issue with my 4004Cii. I did a thread on it here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=412815
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Is there a "modern" alternative to the funky old Ric three-way switch, maybe something that eats up less control cavity real estate, less likely to have leaf springs fouled by wiring etc. I've seen Gibson style ones that are smaller physically, but still have exposed spring parts. Is there such a thing as sealed three way switch (not a mini-switch) that has that old school big toggle vibe, but is enclosed? I've had trouble with pickup and other wires fouling the springs until I carefully taped them out of the way.
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

Here you go...
https://reverb.com/item/4869679-ja-kore ... ul-sg-type

You might find it cheaper elsewhere... Just be aware that the long Ric bat won't fit.
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think I may have one of those in my parts box I got years ago, that I will never use.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”