Anyone using a Kemper profiler?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

pag
Intermediate Member

Anyone using a Kemper profiler?

Post by pag »

I think its safe to say that we bass guitarists are a pragmatic sort when it comes to our equipment and we search high and “Low” for the right tools for the job at any cost.
Mind you,in our search for “that” tone onstage we usually end up with a cartload of heavy valve/hybrid amps and matching heavy cabs in the back of a gas guzzling Volvo estate while the guitarist swans around in a VW UpGTi with a combo and a pedalboard on the back seat.
Here we are in 2018 and technology marches on relentlessly bringing us amplifier profiling in the shape of the Kemper.
I have been studying all the pros and cons of the Kemper,watching endless YouTube clips,in particular Tony Levin making profiles of his amps and the guys at Andertons Music demoing the basic profile potential of the Kemper.
Could this be the way forward?

The potential to trim my rig down and still produce all the sounds I want is there but the cost would entail trading all my Ampeg stuff and starting afresh.
If I go ahead my future rig onstage would be something like a QSC top and sub for full range quality monitoring of my setup.
The main reason for a PA type “backline” monitor system being that I would still be using bass synth pedals and I dont want to carry two setups any longer.
Anyone here using a Kemper or any opinions most welcome. Thanks guys.
Isaac

Re: Anyone using a Kemper profiler?

Post by Isaac »

That "at any cost" thing can be a deal breaker for some of us.
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

And a back breaker!
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

My friend, a rhythm guitarist, has acquired one. I hadn't heard about them, so asked him to explain what the features are. I find it's interesting, but I've achieved my goal - simplicity and light weight. I can't be bothered investing time on the learning curve, nor will I spent the money required for this.
JackTheRipper

Post by JackTheRipper »

My only experience with the Kemper stuff is a brief noodle with it at NAMM a few years ago. Sounded good through headphones.

In my quest to have a single pre/amp/head solution, I decided to go with the Line 6 Helix Rack. At the time, I was playing in 3 bands and I had a different amp configurations and pedal boards for each band. I got tired of that and decided to try the Helix. There's a bit of a learning curve, but I think it was worth it.

I think if you just want to lighten the load, and still get that tubey Ampeg-like tone, you'd be better off with something like a SansAmp RBI, or one of their other variants, and a power amp. IMO, of course,

--jack

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”