Rickenbacker case identification?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Rayomatic

Rickenbacker case identification?

Post by Rayomatic »

Hi all,
Looking at buying a hardshell bass case that the seller claims is a late-1970s Rick one, but isn't certain. The exterior looks right, but usually the interior of these is purple, and the accessories compartment extends all the way to the left of the inside (which is how my mid-70s case was before it got trashed...hence me looking for a replacement). I get that there were probably several variations of Rick bass case interiors over the years. Check it out...anyone recognize this kind of interior in a genuine Rick case?

jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Rickenbacker case identification?

Post by jps »

That look nothing like the one that came with my '73 4001. The impressions on the case lid don't match that of a Rick, as far as I can tell, either. Find out the interior dimensions of the case, and see if the seller can put a late '70s 4001 in it to see how it fits.

Keep in mind that a later 4003 may not fit due to the geometry of the headstock angle if that's what you have.
Rayomatic

Post by Rayomatic »

Thanks, Jeffrey. i have a 1975 4001, so a 1970s case should be perfect.

The case interior looks similar to the ones of these Ricks from 1976 (just a different color plush):

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=1325

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=836

http://www.andybaxterbass.com/details.php?id=880

Maybe it's a particular featuer of that year only? The seller's not in my area so I'm not able to see it in person.

The indents on the lid seem to match a Rick bass (one that didn't have the bridge pickup cover, that is, which most of them lack). You can see the chunky indents from the big'ol tailpiece.

I have no doubt the case housed a Rick at some point :) Just want to ensure it's an original Rick case before pulling the trigger and having it shipped.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I've never seen that version, that I recall, so it's good to see photos of another one.

here is the one from my old "73 4001; it has a more form fitting interior around the body.
1973-HSC-1200_0968.jpg
I don't remember what the interior of the case from the '76 (or thereabouts) 4001 I bought new back then looked like.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

You can get an idea of what a 1975 4001 case looks like of you go to the "Rickenbacker Gallery" which is part of the Rickenbacker Register. Here's the link:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/ga ... 75&month=0

Just out of curiosity I took a quick look at 4001 cases from 1975, 76,77, 79 and 82. It seems that the "form fit" case Jeff described started showing up around 1977. I have nothing against form-fit cases, I think they're great.
What seems to be a typical 1975 case is shown in the first photo. I also found a 1976 case housing a 4001 that looks similar to the OP in form, but has blue lining not red, 2nd photo.

As Jeff said, likely the best test is to have the seller put a 4001 in the case and see how it fits.
75 4001
75 4001
76 4001
76 4001
Rayomatic

Post by Rayomatic »

Thanks all for replying. And howdy, Ron! I sent you a Facebook friend request just recently. Thanks for accepting, and now thanks here for chiming in.
Looks like the "case" has been solved, and it's the "real RicCoy"! (ugh, don't worry I hate myself too sometimes).
I'll see if the seller will agree to ship. It looks like this one ought to fit the bill nicely. Jeff, I love the form-fitting case you sent a pic of. Haven't seen one of those.
Cheers all, and may you have a great fall.
Dave
jai_the_bass

Post by jai_the_bass »

Bit late chipping in here I know but the case looks identical to the one my 1971 arrived in
Can we have a bit more talent in the monitors please.....?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”