Bass Tuner compatability

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Bass Tuner compatability

Post by collin »

I have a ‘75 4001, and it has the original open-back tuners with black plastic bushings.

Hypothetically speaking, if I wanted to install a set of new 4003 “Rickenbacker” branded tuners, would they fit the same footprint?

I know the post holes would have to be drilled out for the larger tuner bushings, I just can’t stand the black plastic type and there isn’t a conversion bushing in metal that works, to my knowledge.
lumgimfong
Intermediate Member

Re: Bass Tuner compatability

Post by lumgimfong »

Why not Hipshot Ultralights? Might as well.
Measure the depth and width of bushing you need and tell them when you order. They have fantastic customer service and will make them for you. They did for me (twice! Until we got it right!).
They have a smaller footprint but they look great to me and make a noticeable difference in weight. My shoulder is much happier now. They probably have the style you are looking for, too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

AFAIK, the footprint should be the same. What those plastic spacers do is create a buffer for the old keys that needed divots in the headstock for the rivets that held it all together. I think modern keys are flush to the surface of the headstock so they should fit without the spacer plates.
collin

Post by collin »

Thanks Jeff, I didn’t mean the black spacers, I meant the tuner bushings (ferrules) which were made of black plastic for a time in the mid-70s, and are terribly ugly IMO.

If the mounting screw footprint is the same, that’s mostly what’s important to me, thanks.
lumgimfong wrote:Why not Hipshot Ultralights? Might as well.
Measure the depth and width of bushing you need and tell them when you order. They have fantastic customer service and will make them for you. They did for me (twice! Until we got it right!).
They have a smaller footprint but they look great to me and make a noticeable difference in weight. My shoulder is much happier now. They probably have the style you are looking for, too.
Thanks, Hipshot are nice tuners, but it’s not right for this build. Need a vintage spec keywind..
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The C64 tuners are a direct replacement for the original Kluson tuners. The bushing that comes with them might even fit the headstock without modification.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Right, Collin, I was thinking of the black spacers that went under the baseplates. Not sure about the dimensions or anything else regarding the bushings, never had a Rick with those on it.
collin

Post by collin »

aceonbass wrote:The C64 tuners are a direct replacement for the original Kluson tuners. The bushing that comes with them might even fit the headstock without modification.
Thanks Dane, that’s good to hear. It was my understanding that the bushings are different since the black plastic 70s type required a 1/2” OD and 3/8” ID bushing and they are larger than the C64 type?

And pardon my ignorance on all things bass, but are the 4003 tuners different from the C64? On the parts page, all I see are these (part # 00550). Thanks in advance!
C9A9275B-5116-441A-9517-972FEA6A1B3E.jpeg
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Collin.....The C64 tuners are made by Gotoh to the exact spec for the original, and long discontinued Klusons. They are slightly different than the current Schaller produced 4003 tuners. You need part#00576 at $160.00 from RIC. The bushings are different that the Schaller tuners, and may interchange with the plastic bushings.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”