1977 3001 bass tone

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

tengraver@att.net

1977 3001 bass tone

Post by tengraver@att.net »

Bought my 3001 new in 1977. Over the years it seems to have lost some oomph. I don't hear the the rich low rumble out of it anymore. The bottom end sounds weak and a little distorted compared to about ANY bass with a P-bass pickup. The high end on it sounds fine. I figured the pickup was at fault, so I found an exact replacement. I was a little suprised when it sounded the same as the original. So, now I'm wondering if pots, resistors, or capacitors could be causing this? Any suggestions, similar experiences, upgrades, ideas, etc. are welcome. Thx.
bassduke49

Re: 1977 3001 bass tone

Post by bassduke49 »

Strings?
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
tengraver@att.net

New strings on it now. About the same as I've always used. Round - wounds. Sounded the same with the old strings as far as the bass response goes. Sidenote: If I remember correctly, Ric specified flatwound only for this bass...that lasted till I could get it out the door, lol. Haven't has any abnormal fret wear in 41 years.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Could it be the amp?
tengraver@att.net

Same thing through a variety of amps, just ****** - no low end sound. Everything from my old Ampeg SVT (yep, a 1972! I bought it right after this guitar and used it for years - it's just not appropriate for church where I play now, lol.) to an almost new Rumble 150. Even through direct boxes straight into PA systems - sounds the same.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Dane Wilder (aceonbass) here knows harnesses really well - he might be able to diagnose.
tengraver@att.net

That would help. Maybe some meter readings I should be getting at various connections, etc. By the way, both the old and the new pup tested the same for resistance. I don't remember what it was, but it was to the Ric spec. (Correction to previous post - the almost new Fender amp I have is a Rumble 100 - the one with the cheesy red led lights you can turn on if you're playing in a disco, lol.)
ram

Post by ram »

So cords and amps have been varied. Two different pickups in and out (readings same for both)..... leads me to suspect the pots or other electrical components..... Dane will probably be your best bet here.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Pots don't generally drift with age, they just get noisy/scratchy. Caps can certainly change value with age, but they generally go lower in value which means they would cut less of the low frequencies...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
tengraver@att.net

Good info. I think I'm going to send my original pup to Tom Brantley for a rewind. Maybe with heavier wire? I think if I tell him what I'm after I will get the pup I'm hoping for.....and it'll fit in the cavity so I don't have to go routing out wood (cringe). Then I'll recheck / resolder the connections and see where I'm at with it. (His rewind jobs cost more than the new pickup did, but I think it'll be worth it.)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

At this point, with limited information, I am inclined to think that it's a bad connection somewhere. A bad connection can function like an inline capacitor, passing the highs and blocking the lows.

Here's what I think I'd do, instead of having the pickup rewound. I'd take off the pickguard and make some test connections: to the pickup itself, to the wires leading to the output jack, and maybe to the junction of C1 and R1. If I'm right, you'll get full output at the pickup (if not, then the pickup may really be the problem). If you get good output at the wires leading to the output jack, then the jack is the likely culprit. I had a bad jack on my 3001 when I got it, so I know it can happen. If the output is good at the pickup but bad at the jack, then the problem is somewhere in between.

For reference, the pickup on my 3001has a DC resistance of 8.67K.

Here is the schematic on the Rickenbacker.com site: http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19504.pdf
tengraver@att.net

Thanks Isaac! Looks like I've got some work to do. I know I've had trouble with the jack before so it could be as simple as that.

Not to change the subject but what opinions are there on this single pup on the 3001? I know it was billed as being competition for the P-Bass but I guess I've always thought P-basses sounded better - even when this thing was new.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

To rule anything electronic in or out it can be helpful to measure the circuit's overall impedance off of a 1/4'' plug. You'd need to know what the baseline from the good ol' days was to really know what was out of spec, but there are certain values -- extreme high or low -- which could still tip you off to a problem.

Based on what you describe, I do think a cold joint or partial short circuit could contribute to the issue.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

When I opened up my 3001 to measure the resistance of the pickup, the red pickup lead came off, so I had some repair work to do.

You see the lengths I go to to be helpful? ;)

Anyway, repair work done, I decided to take it to my Thursday night gig.

As you might expect, it sounded good. Nice, solid low end. Not much on top, as I have it strung with Fender flats. But damn! That thing is heavy. Good thing it was just a two-hour gig.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”