What is UP with ebay -- 4001v63 content

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

What is UP with ebay -- 4001v63 content

Post by squirebass »

I happen to be particularly fond of 4001v63s, so I have ebay set up to notify me whenever a new 4001v63 is listed. But the patterns that emerge from that are a real head-scratcher. Lately, there have been almost nothing but Jetglo v63s listed. All from Japan. I don't have any numbers but I feel sure that the vast majority of v63s were finished in either fireglo or mapleglo -- the original literature on this model listed those colors as the only options. Yet for months at a time, the only ones listed are Jetglo, the current situation. Seems odd that the same colors keep popping up, with most from Japan. Anyone have any insights into this? Is there some sort of collectibles selloff going on in Japan?
teeder

Re: What is UP with ebay -- 4001v63 content

Post by teeder »

Right there with you, Gene.

I'm looking for a V63 too and get the same notifications.

A couple of those Jetglo's have the same picture for different adds.
AndyM

Post by AndyM »

Avoid all eBay ads for guitars that come from Japan. If you look at prices over the past year, they've gone to a level beyond ridiculous. There are a few dealers there and yes the same photos appears among their ads. I believe that they're looking for suckers to make a buy who are not conversant with the true value of these instruments. Doesn't matter if it's a high end or low end item; prices are crazy.
No matter what you're shopping for, you can find better deals closer to home. For me, in Canada, eBay.ca allows me to search in Canada, North America or Worldwide. I never use Worldwide since the Japan market has gone stupid.
collin

Post by collin »

It's a rampant issue with Japan. I actively weed-out any listings from Japan when I'm searching eBay.

Apparently, it's acceptable business practices in Japan to have multiple "agents" listing guitars for sale that they DO NOT OWN. They receive photos and listing info from the actual owner of the guitar (usually a shop that doesn't already sell on eBay), then all list the same guitar on eBay at various prices.

Once somebody "buys" the guitar on eBay, these agents go down the street, physically buy the guitar and ship it to you. That's all fine in theory, until these agents arrive at the real seller and realize the guitar they "sold" on eBay had already sold to a buyer in Japan. In those cases, the agent tries to sell you on another instrument, or offer a refund.

Check the feedback ratings for any of these sellers, there will be positive feedback and at least a few negative from people who purchased guitars that weren't actually available.

It all seems bizarre to me, since my experiences working with the Japanese have been nothing but positive and respectful. It's almost out-of-character to permit such a shady way of conducting business on eBay.

p.s.. eBay, for all of its hyper regulation, refuses to do a damn thing about this issue. Absolutely a violation of its listing practices, but they'll do anything to make a buck.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Yes, I ALWAYS avoid the japan ads, mainly because they are ridiculously over-priced! (See the midnight blue v63, bargain priced at $4300, for a case in point). Another reason is that they always seem to be really late-run v63s, just in an unusual finish. Since I'm not looking for either of these things, and I'm not a billionaire, I don't take the bait.
bottom4
Veteran RRF member

Post by bottom4 »

I watch at least 20 different model guitars and basses. Ricks, Fenders and Gibson’s. It’s amazing the number of quality instruments in Japan!
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Prices of v63's have gone up for quite a while now.
There's something mystic about the v63 designation I think
You could get yourself a 4003s, swap pickups and pickguard and have the same look and sound
+ probably another bass for the same money
teeder

Post by teeder »

No thanks.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

I was able to find a really cool one on ebay about a year and a half ago, from Sam Ash no less! But it was an early '90s model -- fixed nicely by Dane, SD neck pickup(toaster in case, fortunately), and I had to find a set of shoes for it. It now has ROS and a very low ohm horsey that sounds great! I would like to find a mid 80s model with the magnetized horsey, never played one of those...
teeder

Post by teeder »

I'm looking for a '89-92. They have all the features that I like.
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

teeder wrote:I'm looking for a '89-92. They have all the features that I like.
Teeder, what is it about those years that you specially like?

AND, This just in-- 3 new v63s listed today, guess what colors they are???
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

wim wrote:Prices of v63's have gone up for quite a while now.
There's something mystic about the v63 designation I think
You could get yourself a 4003s, swap pickups and pickguard and have the same look and sound
+ probably another bass for the same money
To complete the cosmetic transition, you would have to get a plexi TRC and you wouldn't have the V63 "tail" on the horseshoe surround if you used a RI horsie.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

squirebass wrote:I was able to find a really cool one on ebay about a year and a half ago, from Sam Ash no less! But it was an early '90s model -- fixed nicely by Dane, SD neck pickup(toaster in case, fortunately), and I had to find a set of shoes for it. It now has ROS and a very low ohm horsey that sounds great! I would like to find a mid 80s model with the magnetized horsey, never played one of those...
libratune wrote:To complete the cosmetic transition, you would have to get a plexi TRC and you wouldn't have the V63 "tail" on the horseshoe surround if you used a RI horsie.
The body shape is different, too, for several years, now.
ilan
RRF Consultant

Post by ilan »

Never had a problem with Japan. I've recently bought a '91 MusicMan Stingray from Ishibashi thru eBay, got a great price - $818, free int'l shipping. The bass arrived perfectly set up, unbelievably clean for a 27 years old bass, with new strings and a Ritter gig bag. I'll gladly buy from them again.
"A Noble Instrument Must Be Nobly Regarded"
teeder

Post by teeder »

Teeder, what is it about those years that you specially like?
Longer peghead. Nicer shaped horns. Before that they are pretty fat. The HS surround shape is better, IMO. Slimmer neck than most of the later ones. FG's generally aren't clown-glo.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”