New Bass Day! RMH1999

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: New Bass Day! RMH1999

Post by squirebass »

KenOnBass wrote:Does anyone know the story on the modded ‘15 FG 4003s > v63 now on EBay?
Searching ebay on "rickenbacker4001v63", all I see are several jetglo and one mid blue v63.... most from Japan....
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Sorry, here's the link. I should add that I have no relation to the seller. I was actually contemplating buying it, but they don't have a picture of the neck cavity and thought it would be more fun to do to my own bass over time.

Here
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

Starting at the top and working downward, the 'repro' truss rod cover is not right (too short) and the lettering is too 'smudgy', the tuner machines are those weird ones from 2015 with the small gear retaining screw and not the nickel plated vintage style, the shape of the back of the head stock to neck transition is incorrect, the shape of the neck to body does not have the squared off heel, the horseshoe pickup surround is not the early '64 Rose Morris style, the tail piece is missing the notch in the mute area, and all of the hardware screws are Phillips heads. There are a few other details that are a but 'off', too. All this nit picking aside, it DOES look great!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

gregson62 wrote:Starting at the top and working downward, the 'repro' truss rod cover is not right (too short)...
How so? They varied in length a bit over the years so it can't necessarily be said that the TRC is too short.

Here is a real mid '60s TRC on my old 4001V63.

Is this one too short (putting aside the fact that modern headstocks are shorter than in the 1960s)?
4001V63-800_9093a.jpg
Further reference: here is the headstock from my old '67 4005WB with its original TRC.
4005WB Headstock_800_03.jpg
gregson62

Post by gregson62 »

Great info, and thanks!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Royce wrote:Thanks wim, that means a lot coming from you! I used to have a 2003 C64, but this beats it in every way. I feel silly because I can't stop looking at it! :oops:

:)
That's really interesting as I've liked the the C-series basses I've played more then the V63s or CSs. What is it about it that you prefer?
Royce

Post by Royce »

henry5 wrote:
Royce wrote:Thanks wim, that means a lot coming from you! I used to have a 2003 C64, but this beats it in every way. I feel silly because I can't stop looking at it! :oops:

That's really interesting as I've liked the the C-series basses I've played more then the V63s or CSs. What is it about it that you prefer?
This is silly, but I was always bothered by the C64 headstock being backwards and the tuning machines turning the wrong way. I also prefer the thinner upper horn on the new 4003s models. I like what it does to the balance of the bass when your standing up playing it. The extra two screws in the 4003s tailpiece really help with the dreaded tail lift. Lastly, there's more wood in the neck pocket on the new basses, making them less susceptible to the necks pitching forward as time goes by.

Thankful to be included
rockdude4492

Post by rockdude4492 »

Oh man, that is one beautiful bass! You should consider yourself very lucky. I'm planning on making similar mods to my 4003S. I already have the pickguard and toaster pickup, have a horseshoe coming and I need to grab some knobs. What did you use for knobs, the Ric-brand knobs, Fender Jazz knobs, or something else?

Also, what kind of pickguard did you get, a c64 one or a 4003 vintage mod? I ended up getting a 4001v63 replica for mine.

Any sound demos? :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”