New Bass Day! RMH1999

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Re: New Bass Day! RMH1999

Post by squirebass »

Gilmourisgod wrote:Nice rich, dark burst on that one, I wasn't digging that brief run of "Clownglo" bursts a while back, better forgotten! What did Dane do to the electronics, stereo output through the single jack? That's a cool mod if so.
Dane installed a push-pull tone knob on my v63 about a year and a half ago, which actives ROS grooviness on my bass...
And I also have one of the first run 4003S models in FG -- I had similar plans for mine until I found my 63, but seeing these pics makes me want to get it done! As far as the finish, cut (headstock and horn shaping) I think the new, reintroduced 4003S's are about as nice as it gets and perfect candidates for giving a vintage treatment!
Nice work!
Royce

Post by Royce »

songdog wrote:
Royce wrote:The front pickup is a custom re-wind by Curtis Novak, and ... measures 7.4K ohms just like the stock Rickenbacker toaster so it SOUNDS the same, but has better focus. ... The Horseshoe is a stock re-issue from 2003. The pickups both sound great individually, but the toaster is a little quiet so I'm going to try what wim mentioned above regarding removing all 4 cover mounting screws.
I have a slightly later (2011?) reissue horseshoe paired with the original toaster in my '72 (which is probably what yours is similar to), and I've noticed the same thing. I have a feeling the RIHS is wound to match better with newer, hotter pickups.

I've seen a few comments suggesting unwinding the RIHS to match better with a toaster, but I don't think I've ever heard a report from anyone who's actually done this.
Hmm..I think I'd be too nervous to try unwinding the horseshoe..I wonder if anyone here ever did a step-by-step pictorial kind of thing showing how to do it?
Thankful to be included
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Once the bobbin is removed from the baseplate/shoes it can be unwound just like any other pickup. The shoes are held on by four screws, two of which are what holds the bobbin in place, relatively simple to do.
Royce

Post by Royce »

jps wrote:Once the bobbin is removed from the baseplate/shoes it can be unwound just like any other pickup. The shoes are held on by four screws, two of which are what holds the bobbin in place, relatively simple to do.
Hey Jeff :)

I asked because once a long time ago (70s) I had a Telecaster lead pickup with the wire coming from the bobbin broken and too short to reach the eyelet that the lead wire connected to so I thought I would unwind it one turn and be good to go. Instead, it broke completely off and the pickup was dead. I've been afraid to try that again since!
Thankful to be included
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

You remove the tape and unwind a couple turns, then reconnect it to the eyelet. A few turns one way or the other doesn't really make any difference, overall. You do have to be careful as the wire is extremely thin, so be gentle with it.
Royce

Post by Royce »

Thank you Jeff! :)
Thankful to be included
matbard@me.com

Post by matbard@me.com »

That's exactly the bass I would ever want
-

--> Matteo Barducci
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

That is just perfection! Well done on the mods!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

That's one red hot bass.
bassman_al

Post by bassman_al »

jdogric12 wrote:OK so there is a local guy who works on a lot of my guitars and basses, and he just told me he owns this Dremel thingy Collin linked. So I'm just gonna have him do it, which makes sense for many reasons!
Getting ready to rout Jason’s pickup cavity!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bassman_al wrote:Getting ready to rout Jason’s pickup cavity!
Does his wife have any knowledge of this?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

jps wrote:
bassman_al wrote:Getting ready to rout Jason’s pickup cavity!
Does his wife have any knowledge of this?
Nor any interest lol
bassman_al

Post by bassman_al »

jdogric12 wrote:OK so there is a local guy who works on a lot of my guitars and basses, and he just told me he owns this Dremel thingy Collin linked. So I'm just gonna have him do it, which makes sense for many reasons!
I took pictures but they are too big to load here, so here is my IG post that shows the work
https://instagram.com/p/BqOrJ6qh3E8/
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bassman_al wrote:
I took pictures but they are too big to load here, so here is my IG post that shows the work
https://instagram.com/p/BqOrJ6qh3E8/
Your computer has photo editing software (all computers do) that can easily resize the images to post here. 8)
KenOnBass

Post by KenOnBass »

Does anyone know the story on the modded ‘15 FG 4003s > v63 now on EBay?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”