New Bass Day! RMH1999

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Royce

New Bass Day! RMH1999

Post by Royce »

I couldn't be happier with it! Nice size neck and really resonant wood. Very even string response. This is one of those good ones. I'm feeling very thankful right now!

Special thanks go out to Dane Wilder for the vintage surround and electronics, and Tony at Pickguardian for the PERFECT pickguard.

NOTE: I didn't get the model number wrong, RMH are my initials, so I'm just having a little fun! :wink:
Front.JPG
Front Angle.JPG
Headstock.JPG
Last edited by Royce on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thankful to be included
wim
Intermediate Member

Re: New Bass Day! RMH1999

Post by wim »

Beautiful!
Royce

Post by Royce »

Thanks wim, that means a lot coming from you! I used to have a 2003 C64, but this beats it in every way. I feel silly because I can't stop looking at it! :oops:

:)
Thankful to be included
ram

Post by ram »

GREAT look! Love it! Congratulations.... !!!
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

So did you have a newish 4003S backdated with hardware? Or is this a tweaked V63? Curious minds . . . etc. :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Very cool! Looks like a modern S.

I have all the parts to do the same to my '15 S but haven't yet been brave enough to route the modern cavity, since there is less wood and it would be weaker than an older design.

You still need the vintage strap buttons! If you have the original tailpiece, you can just use the mute buttons - same part IIRC.
Royce

Post by Royce »

ram wrote:GREAT look! Love it! Congratulations.... !!!
Thanks Tim! :)
Thankful to be included
Royce

Post by Royce »

bassduke49 wrote:So did you have a newish 4003S backdated with hardware? Or is this a tweaked V63? Curious minds . . . etc. :D
DOH!..I just realized I didn't say what I started with! :oops: It's a 2015 4003s. It took me longer to do than I thought it would, as I just couldn't bring myself to route for the 1/2" toaster position! (nerve wracking) By the way Paul, THANK YOU for the wonderful book. It's sitting here right next to me on the desktop.

Thankful to be included
Royce

Post by Royce »

jdogric12 wrote:Very cool! Looks like a modern S.

I have all the parts to do the same to my '15 S but haven't yet been brave enough to route the modern cavity, since there is less wood and it would be weaker than an older design.

You still need the vintage strap buttons! If you have the original tailpiece, you can just use the mute buttons - same part IIRC.
It's a 2015 model like yours!..I know what you mean about the routing..In it's first revision I tried to leave the pickup where it was, but it bothered me every time I looked at it. In the end though, it was easier than I imagined, and I really didn't have to remove much wood at all. What I did was, leave the front two screws off the toaster so I could remove as little wood as possible. There's still more wood left than there is in a C64 or V63, so it should be OK. I forgot about the strap buttons! (good eye!)
Front Screws Removed
Front Screws Removed
Neck Pocket 1
Neck Pocket 1
Neck Pocket 2
Neck Pocket 2
2006 C64 Neck Pocket
2006 C64 Neck Pocket
Thankful to be included
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

That's pretty clever, leaving the 2 screws off! This is very encouraging. Thanks for posting such excellent pics. I'm going to try this on mine. Do you think I"ll be able to Dremel it? Getting access to a router (and someone that knows how to use one) would be difficult.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Royce wrote:By the way Paul, THANK YOU for the wonderful book. It's sitting here right next to me on the desktop.
You're quite welcome! Thank you for purchasing one! :D
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jdogric12 wrote:That's pretty clever, leaving the 2 screws off! This is very encouraging. Thanks for posting such excellent pics. I'm going to try this on mine. Do you think I"ll be able to Dremel it? Getting access to a router (and someone that knows how to use one) would be difficult.
Router not required. Dremel should work fine but be aware of it not staying where you want it to during the operation. When I did mine I used very simple tools: a drill with the appropriate diameter bit size for the corners and a nice, sharp chisel and medium weight hammer. Excellent control that way.
collin

Post by collin »

jps wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:That's pretty clever, leaving the 2 screws off! This is very encouraging. Thanks for posting such excellent pics. I'm going to try this on mine. Do you think I"ll be able to Dremel it? Getting access to a router (and someone that knows how to use one) would be difficult.
Router not required. Dremel should work fine but be aware of it not staying where you want it to during the operation. When I did mine I used very simple tools: a drill with the appropriate diameter bit size for the corners and a nice, sharp chisel and medium weight hammer. Excellent control that way.
BTW, the ultimate Dremel attachment tool for guitar repair is this:

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/T ... _Base.html
Precision_Router_Base.jpg
I don't usually promote Stew Mac products, but I've had this for years and it's fantastic for doing very fine work with excellent control over everything. You can even route for binding with this, if you set up a jig.

Anyway, nice conversion work on the bass. Looks excellent!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Thanks Collin! Gonna seriously consider that.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

OK so there is a local guy who works on a lot of my guitars and basses, and he just told me he owns this Dremel thingy Collin linked. So I'm just gonna have him do it, which makes sense for many reasons!

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”