New Bass Day! RMH1999

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

wim
Intermediate Member

Re: New Bass Day! RMH1999

Post by wim »

I have removed all 4 screws on my neck pickup, so I could raise it maximally.
Since the height adjustment screws are connected to the base plate, the while thing is kept together by some tape which you can't even see.

I love the surround on this bass, to me this should've been the reissue type.
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

wim wrote:I have removed all 4 screws on my neck pickup, so I could raise it maximally.
Since the height adjustment screws are connected to the base plate, the while thing is kept together by some tape which you can't even see.

I agree, it’s such a cool shape.
collin

Post by collin »

jdogric12 wrote:OK so there is a local guy who works on a lot of my guitars and basses, and he just told me he owns this Dremel thingy Collin linked. So I'm just gonna have him do it, which makes sense for many reasons!
Scared to give it a go, bud? :D

It's awesome. I also use mine for routing out fretboards to fit crushed pearl inlays, with a cordless Dremel tool. You could probably do intricate detailed stuff (PRS-style Dragon fretboard Rickenbacker, anyone?), with a smaller bit.
songdog

Post by songdog »

Very nice work! If you were on stage and I were in the audience, I probably would think it was 50+ years old.

Are those reissue pickups? If so, how do they play together?
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

collin wrote:
jdogric12 wrote:OK so there is a local guy who works on a lot of my guitars and basses, and he just told me he owns this Dremel thingy Collin linked. So I'm just gonna have him do it, which makes sense for many reasons!
Scared to give it a go, bud? :D

It's awesome. I also use mine for routing out fretboards to fit crushed pearl inlays, with a cordless Dremel tool. You could probably do intricate detailed stuff (PRS-style Dragon fretboard Rickenbacker, anyone?), with a smaller bit.
Yes! Call me Chicken Little! Dropping it off this morning, when I pick up my 72 4001 BG ;)
teeder

Post by teeder »

henry5 wrote:
wim wrote:I have removed all 4 screws on my neck pickup, so I could raise it maximally.

I agree, it’s such a cool shape.
+1!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

wim wrote:I love the surround on this bass, to me this should've been the reissue type.
I cut this by hand from an original stamped brass Rickenbacker lapsteel surround, then sent it to be triple plated so that it's better than the original ones were.
teeder

Post by teeder »

Nicely done!

If I can find a V63, I'll have you build one for me.
Royce

Post by Royce »

jdogric12 wrote:That's pretty clever, leaving the 2 screws off! This is very encouraging. Thanks for posting such excellent pics. I'm going to try this on mine. Do you think I"ll be able to Dremel it? Getting access to a router (and someone that knows how to use one) would be difficult.
Thanks Jason, and you're welcome regarding the pics!..When all is said and done, you'll be happy you finally did it. As Jeff said, a Dremel would be fine. I would have used one myself except I lent mine to someone and haven't seen it for awhile! :)
Last edited by Royce on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thankful to be included
Royce

Post by Royce »

That's a great idea wim, I think I'm going to do that too. I need a little more volume from the toaster. I agree about the surround. It's my favorite of the vintage variations, and Dane really knocked it out of the park.

:)
Thankful to be included
Royce

Post by Royce »

songdog wrote:Very nice work! If you were on stage and I were in the audience, I probably would think it was 50+ years old.

Are those reissue pickups? If so, how do they play together?
Thanks Bill!...That's the ultimate compliment right there! :)

The front pickup is a custom re-wind by Curtis Novak, and has four pole pieces. (I'm surprised no one caught that yet!) It measures 7.4K ohms just like the stock Rickenbacker toaster so it SOUNDS the same, but has better focus. No more dead E string! The Horseshoe is a stock re-issue from 2003. The pickups both sound great individually, but the toaster is a little quiet so I'm going to try what wim mentioned above regarding removing all 4 cover mounting screws.

:)
Thankful to be included
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Royce wrote:...No more dead E string!...
Interesting. I have never had a dead E string on a toaster. All the Rick basses I have owned with toasters had/have excellent string balance.
Royce

Post by Royce »

aceonbass wrote:
wim wrote:I love the surround on this bass, to me this should've been the reissue type.
I cut this by hand from an original stamped brass Rickenbacker lapsteel surround, then sent it to be triple plated so that it's better than the original ones were.
You did such a great job on this Dane. It took me FOREVER to get around to finishing the bass up. This wouldn't have happened without your help. Thank You! :)

P.S. The wiring harness really made a noticeable difference in the overall tone. (I need to get another harness from you for a 660 with the vintage tone option)
Thankful to be included
songdog

Post by songdog »

Royce wrote:The front pickup is a custom re-wind by Curtis Novak, and ... measures 7.4K ohms just like the stock Rickenbacker toaster so it SOUNDS the same, but has better focus. ... The Horseshoe is a stock re-issue from 2003. The pickups both sound great individually, but the toaster is a little quiet so I'm going to try what wim mentioned above regarding removing all 4 cover mounting screws.
I have a slightly later (2011?) reissue horseshoe paired with the original toaster in my '72 (which is probably what yours is similar to), and I've noticed the same thing. I have a feeling the RIHS is wound to match better with newer, hotter pickups.

I've seen a few comments suggesting unwinding the RIHS to match better with a toaster, but I don't think I've ever heard a report from anyone who's actually done this.
Turn on, tune up, rock out!
Gilmourisgod

Post by Gilmourisgod »

Nice rich, dark burst on that one, I wasn't digging that brief run of "Clownglo" bursts a while back, better forgotten! What did Dane do to the electronics, stereo output through the single jack? That's a cool mod if so.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”